Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microphone input -> speaker input

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejs

Hi

I am new here and dont have lots of knowledge of what i am trying to do but here is my question.....

I have a small device that can record sound when you press a button via an inbuilt mini microphone. This is then played back when another buttin is pressed. Very simple.... but i want to record sound direct into the device via my pc. (not through air into microphone)

I have removed the microphone from the device and soldered the wires from PC speaker direct onto the two remaining microphone connections!

This does actually work when i playback music from pc and then press record button on device BUT the resulting recorded sound is distorted when it is played back.

If i adjust volume on pc speakers as i record into the device it does not seem to change the level of distortion although the recording does reflect the volume change... but distortion remains.

I am guesing i can not simply expect the microphone input connections to accept what ever is coming down my speaker wire!!

Anyone have any advice as to how i would go about working out how to make this work without distoted sound being recorded?

Maybe a simple explanation of speaker and microphone electronics would also be a good idea, i have looked this up and think i am correct in thinking speaker wire is outputting variable AC levels depending on volume but thats about as much as i understand!

Cheers
Dave

The output level from a microphone is only about 0.01V so the preamp has a lot of gain.
But the output level from a speaker is a few volts which is 500 times too high to feed into a mic input even if the speaker volume control is turned down.

You need to make an attenuator with two resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back