Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hello Everyone,
I have this motherboard (K7S5A), and it has this IC on it with many pins. So I came up with a datasheet for this IC: Winbond W49F002U-12B.

Is this IC a Micro Controller? The title says it is a "256K X 8 CMOS FLASH MEMORY". It has "F" in it's name, so I could get a programmer and re-program it for other uses, and experiment with it? It is sitting there in a socket too, so it looks perfect, but looks can be deceiving I guess?

Thanks,
-TheNewGuy

No, it specifically states what it is in the PDF file that you yourself provided. It's a 2mbit flash memory chip.

Neither do I. But you should know what flash memory means =)
It's like a USB keystick, only it's not a USB keystick =) It's just the raw stuff that they're made out of, in a chip format. You trigger the I/O ines and you can read and write to it. It's 2mbit, which means 2 million bits, or about 250kilobytes of data. It is of no use to you without a micro controller or processor to access it.

All the rest of the information in that PDF is on the timings of the I/O pin toggling required to access it so you know how to trigger it and what to expect as an output when you do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…