Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hello Everyone,
I have this motherboard (K7S5A), and it has this IC on it with many pins. So I came up with a datasheet for this IC: Winbond W49F002U-12B.

Is this IC a Micro Controller? The title says it is a "256K X 8 CMOS FLASH MEMORY". It has "F" in it's name, so I could get a programmer and re-program it for other uses, and experiment with it? It is sitting there in a socket too, so it looks perfect, but looks can be deceiving I guess?

Thanks,
-TheNewGuy

No, it specifically states what it is in the PDF file that you yourself provided. It's a 2mbit flash memory chip.

Neither do I. But you should know what flash memory means =)
It's like a USB keystick, only it's not a USB keystick =) It's just the raw stuff that they're made out of, in a chip format. You trigger the I/O ines and you can read and write to it. It's 2mbit, which means 2 million bits, or about 250kilobytes of data. It is of no use to you without a micro controller or processor to access it.

All the rest of the information in that PDF is on the timings of the I/O pin toggling required to access it so you know how to trigger it and what to expect as an output when you do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back