Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller sub-categories.. What do you think?

Do you think the Micro Controllers forum should have sub forums?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not include a licence agreement saying that if you use the code, you have to say where you got it from ne if they don't, sue. :D

Yeah the point of this topic is to decide weather or not sub forums will be a good idea.

At this stage I'm thinking of creating just an AVR sub forum to split that content and then their would be a clear line.. How does that sound?

PIC traffic is in the majority. Split off PIC and lump the rest together.

After the PIC, there isn't any micro that deserves a forum on it's own, in terms of the amount of threads. 8051 has probably more threads than AVR, even if they mostly come from Saudi Arabia or wherever. So I think it should be two categories, PIC and everything else, if anything.

Last edited:
After the PIC, there isn't any micro that deserves a forum on it's own, in terms of the amount of threads. 8051 has probably more threads than AVR, even if they mostly come from Saudi Arabia or wherever. So I think it should be two categories, PIC and everything else, if anything.

Your right
Know real AVR user will post here we use Pic you know from here Welcome to microchipDIRECT

Mostly the one's that have posted here are pic users :D

Last edited:
This is what you get when you search for AVR on this form
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
There's 494 pages about 8051 uC
There's more pages on just one chip the 16f628 then there is for both avr and 8051

Last edited:
It's probably off putting for anyone who doesn't use a PIC to post in the micro section with all those PIC threads.

What do you think your going to gain there not that many people
posting for Atmel microcontrollers or 8051 microcontrollers

If you have the whole world where would you put it.
Some times too much is a bad thing.

If we created a Pic subforum it would create a problem for mods as alot of people would just post in the main forum. That's why I think Pic should be left in the main forum.

I am rather confused regarding your motivation.

There is always going to be the possibility of people posting in the wrong forum. More forums will require more moderation. If the goal is to reduce work then increasing the complexity of the forum structure is out of the question.

Proper organization of forums will help.

Maybe the key is to place all uC related forums at the same level including other or whatever. Use the main as place to hold locked sticky threads. (just thinking)

What advantage do you see in creating an AVR forum ?

3v0

Last edited:
Good comments 3v0.

My aim is to create an environment that will allow the Micro Controllers to expand and evolve into a more user-friendly place which can handle larger groups - with as little trouble to the moderators as possible.

The benefits, well like Colin says, it's off-putting to come into a forum that is predominantly PIC related when you are interested in AVR.. But it's a great feeling to know the people posting in your forum has the same interests as you..

It's the same logic as why we don't just have one main forum for electronics..

PS: sorry it's really late, my writing is very poor atm! :]

Last edited:
I've now setup 2 sub-forums - as you will notice. AVR and 8051..

I've sorted through some threads and built it up a bit and it seems there is a lot of information about both. 8051 is much more popular than I thought.

We'll see how it goes. If you notice any problems please do let me know. Thank you all for you feedback.

Last edited:
I've now setup 2 sub-forums - as you will notice. AVR and 8051..

I've sorted through some threads and built it up a bit and it seems there is a lot of information about both. 8051 is much more popular than I thought.

We'll see how it goes. If you notice any problems please do let me know. Thank you all for you feedback.

Perhaps you should relabel it 8051/8951 - as we're still getting 8951 posts in the main forum.

Have a look at **broken link removed**

The users tag their posts, and it is automatically available in the sub forum. I think voluntary tagging would be a good idea eg [PCB] [toner] [picASM] [noobie] as meta tags would help filter posts you would find relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back