Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm927

Hello,

I am reletively new to working with microcontrollers. However, I have done some similar programming.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive microcontroller or other chip that I could program a 60 Hz sinusoidal PWM signal using a 20 kHz switching frequency. I want something as small as possible that will hold up well. What should I look for in such a device? Does anyone know where I can get a microcontroller that will do the job? I looked at the Microchip 18F452 and it seems to be ok. However, I want something smaller and cheaper that will provide the same function. Thanks.

dm927 said:
Hello,

I am reletively new to working with microcontrollers. However, I have done some similar programming.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive microcontroller or other chip that I could program a 60 Hz sinusoidal PWM signal using a 20 kHz switching frequency. I want something as small as possible that will hold up well. What should I look for in such a device? Does anyone know where I can get a microcontroller that will do the job? I looked at the Microchip 18F452 and it seems to be ok. However, I want something smaller and cheaper that will provide the same function. Thanks.

Take your PIC :
**broken link removed**

16F87X series or the 18F452 series are great. The only this is that the 18F series take use a different programing sequence. Look into programers at the same time.

You might also consider the Atmel AVRs, they are also quite popular, and have a different architecture than the PICs .... whatever makes you more comfortable.

You can also do a search on the CORDIC algorithm which makes it very easy to generate sinusoids with a variable phase increment. This is particularly helpful if you want higher resolution because the look up tables become excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back