Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller for robotic path planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Hi!
I am making a robot that can plan its path. I am using Sharp GP2D12 for obstacle detection and ranging. Now I need to use a suitable microcontroller with an 8-bit ADC, Stepper motor driver circuit ,4-8K program memory and atleast 2 I/O ports. The price should be minimum. Can u suggest which microcontroller I can use? It needn't have any advanced features!

infinity said:
Hi!
I am making a robot that can plan its path. I am using Sharp GP2D12 for obstacle detection and ranging. Now I need to use a suitable microcontroller with an 8-bit ADC, Stepper motor driver circuit ,4-8K program memory and atleast 2 I/O ports. The price should be minimum. Can u suggest which microcontroller I can use? It needn't have any advanced features!

PIC's are the most popular micro-controllers, they are cheap to buy, easy to program, with programmers and software freely available.

Your 4-8K memory requirement looks rather excessive, 1K should be more than enough with a PIC.

PIC's range from 8 pin to 40 pin, you just need to pick a suitable sized one, I would suggest you use a FLASH one (for ease of reprogramming), a suitable 18 pin one would be the 16F819, or a 28 pin one the 16F876. These both include 10 bit A2D, which should be fine for your requirements, you can easily configure it as 8 bit if required (by reading just the 8 most significant bits).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back