Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip WSN support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi i want to use the Microchip MRF24J40MA Radio Transceiver Module **broken link removed**

for a Zigbee project.I want to know whether i need to learn Tiny Os to use the module or i can use PIC languages and use the Zigbee protocol explicitly? I tried looking for this answer on their site but couldnt find it Thanks.

I am building hardware using the MRF24J40MA. So far I have only looked at the software.

Use a microchip C compiler. Porting the code would be a royal pain. There is an off chance that you can link to the stack but I so not expect it.

Only specific microchip processors are supported. The easiest way to see this is to download the software and run Zena which configures the code/stack.

Study the Microchip ZigBee stack doc's and you will see that user code communicates with the stack with a very small set of functions.

I get the impression that this is not a plug and play process. The microchip forum has posts about various problems that pop up. This is not a well worn path and finding help may be difficult.

Thanks 3V0. I saw on its website that the module hs a PCB antenna atached.So do i take that i do not need external circuitry to operate it(hardware for operation of transceiver only)?Cause in the datasheet their is a basic circuitry given to use the transceiver. I will update on any further information i get. I have actually asked some questions from their technical support staff(but their replies i hear come very late).I will ask more questions regarding hardware/software as i move along.

Last edited:
I am building hardware using the MRF24J40MA. So far I have only looked at the software.

Use a microchip C compiler. Porting the code would be a royal pain. There is an off chance that you can link to the stack but I so not expect it.

Only specific microchip processors are supported. The easiest way to see this is to download the software and run Zena which configures the code/stack.

Study the Microchip ZigBee stack doc's and you will see that user code communicates with the stack with a very small set of functions.

I get the impression that this is not a plug and play process. The microchip forum has posts about various problems that pop up. This is not a well worn path and finding help may be difficult.

Hi 3V0, i wanted to know whether you have used the transceiver by now.I went through the stack and the application notes thoroughly.I intend to make a module based on the 18F4620 in the PICDEM Z board scehmatic.Not all of it though.

Do you need Zigbee specifically? The MiWi stack they offer is simpler to implement and works as a full network protocol. Unless you specifically need Zigbee for some reason I would trade it for the MiWi stack. The cut down MiWi P2P works as well, and has a smaller footprint, if you don't mind loosing a few features.

I was looking in to zigbee and trying to get a hold of things.I would like to prefer Zigbee, have your worked with this module(for miwi even)?Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back