Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mic choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.EM said:
Yeah, that sounds ace! Why don't we have anything like that in sunny old Swindon I wonder :eek: I miss being able to occasionally use the college recording studio since i've left :(

You might try suggesting something like it to the local youth service?, Brian from Donut has been giving presentations and showing a video (which Melissa is in) at various places around the country (including to MP's), demonstrating what the youth service can do.

epilot said:
I want to use it for speaking and music performs.
The Shure SM58 is the gold standard for vocal/music venues. While there may be other brands and models that are similar to equal, the SM58 does it all and with great reliability. The Beyer dynamic mics are also excellent but costly. If you use a SM58 by Shure, you'll be good to go anywhere except for on the moon and underwater.

If you want purist audio for vocals then a ribbon type mic is the best, but not up to the task of bouncing around on stage or over the road.

HiTech said:
The Shure SM58 is the gold standard for vocal/music venues. While there may be other brands and models that are similar to equal, the SM58 does it all and with great reliability. The Beyer dynamic mics are also excellent but costly. If you use a SM58 by Shure, you'll be good to go anywhere except for on the moon and underwater.

Notice he's still not given us any information what he wants to use it for, so an SM58 may be completely unsuitable?.

I 'was' planning buying an SM58 for Melissa, for lead vocals - but we had an 'emergency' gig where I had to produce a PA system in a very short time, and with very little money. So I bought a pack of three cheap Behringer mikes, the plan was to use them later for drum or instrument mikes.

However, after we used them I scrapped the idea of buying an SM58 - the cheap Behringers (15 for the price of an SM58!) feel just as good as an SM58 (plus they are switched), and I can't hear any difference!.

yes I can see the reason of using another kind of mics now, thanks.

I want to build an FM transmitter based upon audioguru FM transmitter,
he used a condenser mic for his transmitter, I wanted to know another alternatives for the mic to transmit my voice beside music from my recorder.

I have a head preamplifier based on 9411 IC which works on my
tape recorder, does anyone know if I can use it as a Mic preamplifier too?

Can any head preamplifier be used as a Mic preamplifier too?

Thanks.

epilot said:
yes I can see the reason of using another kind of mics now, thanks.

I want to build an FM transmitter based upon audioguru FM transmitter,
he used a condenser mic for his transmitter, I wanted to know another alternatives for the mic to transmit my voice beside music from my recorder.

Actually he used an 'electret' mike (which is a specific type of condenser mike) - they are cheap to buy, and you can find them in all manner of cheap cassette recorders, telephone handsets - almost anywhere there's a cheap mike required.

For your purpose they would be ideal, they have amazing performance for their price - good frequency response, and very sensitive - fine for recording, but NOT for live performance (very poor feedback properties).

I have a head preamplifier based on 9411 IC which works on my
tape recorder, does anyone know if I can use it as a Mic preamplifier too?

No, a head preamp isn't anywhere near flat, it follows a fairly complex filtering shape - check RIAA spc for details.

Can any head preamplifier be used as a Mic preamplifier too?

No, as above - but the preamp chips often can, it just requires a different circuit, but it's simpler to use a plain opamp.

However, Audioguru's transmitter already has a preamp, you don't need another - it will already be VERY sensitive, suitable for bugging a large room and transmitting quiet speech.

The mic preamp in my FM transmitter is so sensitive that the transmitter overmodulates just by looking at it.:D

A SHURE SM58 is overkill for any type of hobby FM transmitter. I wouldn't even use it in a broadcast studio for that matter since there are better choices for that environment. Ok then for his purposes, he can simply scab an ECM from an old cassette tape recorder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back