Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metronome

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hi, I'm using this here metronome to test capacitors. you just plug the capacitor into the socket, and depending on the value, the speaker will produce a series of clicks, or whine.

When I plug a .01 uf capacitor into the circuit, it will buzz, which is normal. Then when I plug a .047 uf cap into it, it melted the bloody speaker, and the transistors got very hot. Anyway, I take it that this means the capacitor is bad, but why does it do this?

Is using a metronome a good way to test capacitors?

P.S. sorry for the cruddy drawing. does anyone know how to publish a picture using the simulation program Crocodile Tech?

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 247
You haven't shown the polarities of your transistors, however I assume the left-hand one in NPN, and the right-hand one is PNP, is this correct?

If the capacitor is removed, current feeds directly into the base of the NPN, and the combined gain of the transistors causes a large DC current to flow in the PNP transistor and speaker. Your transistor may not be rated for this current (possibly 1-2A). Also speakers are not fond of DC. Remember that a speaker, as far as DC current is concerned, is just a low value resistor. It will heat up just like a resistor, the power being dissipated in it, equal to I^2*R. As the speaker is composed of very fine wire, the wire quickly melts when heated.

I would consider this to be a very poor circuit to use for capacitor testing.

in crock tech, use the print screen button, then paste into a graphics program, then save as a .gif

err, croc is a pretty poor simulation software - i'd advise you look at something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back