Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

My wife and I want to do some relic hunting around our area. Does anyone have experience to what brand/model number metal detector would be a good buy?
I am looking at Whites Coin master, any opinion?

Thanks

HI Eric, We don't care what type of relics, the fun is in the search, the older the more cool

hi,
OK,

BTW: if you need to calibrate the 'relic' detector, just sweep it over me a few times!:rolleyes:

IIRC 'Roff' is into metal detectors

Lets know what you detect.?

E.

Last edited:
That HF detector actually isn't all that bad of a performer. I have th older model to that and I often use it as a quick grab 'n go for quick finds. It's great for public parks and campgrounds where folks drop coins all the time. I also have a Compass brand and a Garrett. The Garrett is a high end unit and descriminates and pinpoints very nicely. Incidentally Garrett is a prime supplier to the US military. All Garrett models are good performers and solidly built. Just don't get caught up in costly detectors means better treasures found. It's the know-how of the user - that's what counts. That HF detector is made under a couple of other mfgr. names and it's switchable between TRF and VLF modes making it quite versatile for various detecting methods. There was a webpage somewhere detailing a small mod one can make to the HF to improve its performance.

I was into that as a kid - I recall that my 1st cheapo detector was generally easier to use then the fancy one my rich grandma got me. Less fiddling with knobs and dials, and more digging.
The big selling point of discriminators back them was the ability to filter out soda and beer can pull tabs. Since pull tabs have been gone for years - do they stilll turn up in handfulls or something else now the bane of the hobbyist?

I will admit my Garrett is quite good at descriminating against garbage. I can set it for a nickel and it will pretty much stick to that. Serious MD hobbyists don't want to waste their time with fruitless digging so they get a good detector and master the technique of listening to the tones and reading the indicator.

I recommend you go to a beach and bury some various coins, pull tab, a spoon, even iron. Keep them buried at the same depth and separated a couple feet apart. Practice using the detector to learn how it reacts to the various metals and play with the controls to learn how to tweek it. Then bury the same items deeper and repeat the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back