Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring voltage with oscilloscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Lets say I have a serial circuit of - Vsource, 2 resistors, and GND - like this:

GND ------- -Vsource+ ------------- R1 ---------- R2 --------- GND

If I'd measure the voltage on R1, and put the probe's GND and probe's other end around R1, wouldn't it be a problem that I created two different grounds in the circuit?

Lets say I have a serial circuit of - Vsource, 2 resistors, and GND - like this:

GND ------- -Vsource+ ------------- R1 ---------- R2 --------- GND

If I'd measure the voltage on R1, and put the probe's GND and probe's other end around R1, wouldn't it be a problem that I created two different grounds in the circuit?

hi,
Its that ambiguous word 'ground' which causes problems.

Just for example: say your power supply and scope chassis were not connected to the mains Earth/Ground line.

You could take a reading across R1 OK.

But if the psu and scope chassis are connected to the Earth/Ground line, which IMO they should always be, then you cannot measure across R1.

I would suggest you use the term 'common' or '0V' for connections on your circuits and keep the 'ground' to refer to 'Earth'.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back