Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring V high impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonigau

I had an interesting time troubleshooting a faulty ionised particle detector a while back. It is an old unit from the early seventies. Eberline E-120

After checking various circuit operation,
I suspected the 900V supply to the GM tube but this was hard to measure as it was 23M impedance, more than twice the DMM impedance.
It is a regulated supply with a tube "zener" diode to sense the voltage.

I needed to load the circuit minimal to detect if there was a problem with the Vsense loading the circuit.
I ended up placing 136M in series with the DMM & 100K in parallel with the DMM to give reasonable voltage ? to measure.

Attached spreadsheet was used to do the hard work.
The measured result indicated the VSupply was ok, I had already checked the cable to the GM tube.
The problem turned out to be an open contact inside the hand held tube holder, cleaned off the corrosion & it came to life.

The job was complicated somewhat as I didn't have a source, the smoke detector does'nt emit any more than background. Now I know how many particle per minute from background I know next time.

Tis funny how sometimes corrosion is conductive & other times it is an insulator. Maybe the impressed voltage changes its characteristic ?

Tonig.

Attachments

• Vdiv2 e-120.pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 453
  • Vdiv2.xls.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back