Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure Pulse Width / Duty Cycle of an Injector to drive a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but are the oscillations constant width? If so, it is quite easy to count them; although, measuring the period is also easy. Just start the timer with the first "high" after the first "low" of longer than 1 mS (or whatever ). Stop the timer when the next expected low is missed.

Gotta run.

John

the back EMF, Do I need to protect against this? eg. diode across the injector coil pins
My interpretation of the waveform shown is that something (diode?) with a breakdown voltage of ~40V is already in place across the injector coil. With no breakdown device at all the back emf would possibly have been ~ 1kV or more. A reverse-biased diode with a low forward voltage (e.g. Schottky) is commonly used with relays but is less than ideal for injectors because it slows down the coil switch-off.

Thanks alec_t for confirming that, that's one less thing to worry about then. Going to design a circuit on CircuitLab.com and will post first draft once done, Circuitlab offers a testing function but as I plan to use a pic that's not really going work so it will be simply a means to design a circuit. I'll reply back in about a weeks time hopefully with my first draft. Thanks both for all your guidance so far - much appreciated.

Rodp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back