Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure Daily Output of a Solar Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a fixed resistor the power is proportional to the sq of the voltage - sample the voltage on a regular basis and calculate the total ENERGY over a given time. (Ie Integrate the calculated power value.)

If the load is a fixed resistor, you do not need to measure the current:

Power = Volts x Volts / Resistance

If you have two identical solar panels then I suggest you test both panels at the same time - for the reasons Mike gives, duplicating the conditions for both panels at different times would be very difficult. You could monitor both voltages with a single micro and even calculate/display the energy/power difference in real time.

Ron

Since a solar panel is a current source in parallel with a voltage clamp the voltage across your measuring device should probably never exceed <50% of the open circuit voltage of your solar cell.

Well, if you open circuit the panel, each cell maxes out at about one diode drop, 0.7v or so, so you really can't tell what the cell is capable of by using a very high load resistor value.

If you short the cell, the Isc should vary with illumination but this also doesn't tell max power level, only max current level.

And you can't use the max. power xfer idea, where the load resistance = the internal resistance, because the internal resistance varies.

So, I guess keeping the load voltage at less than 50% of max. open circuit voltage will give some reasonable approximation to the max. power available.

Willbe

Activity: High

If you get more than 0.15 hp per sq. yd. of solar panel, you're doing pretty well.

Actually Willbe,

.15 hp is around 111 watts. I know of many 3X5 panels rated for 170 watts and up to around 200 watts. So, a sq yard is 9 sq ft. you,re saying that if you can get 55% out of a solar panel you're doing pretty good?

what happen to the 6 sq feet you lost and don't most calculate the power by the solar cell charging a storage battery. I don't see how you could get a power reading that would show you any thing about how much your cell can supply with out seeing how much it can save to storage.

Last edited:
We calculate the instantaneous (....well almost) maximum power output of our research panels by measuring the open circuit voltage, followed be the short circuit (0.1Ω) current, and multiplying by 0.6 (0.5-0.7 ranges depends on the type of panel). We also ran computer-controlled, swept-resistance loads to verify our calculations. And we switch between two panels, a polycrystalline and an amorphous, for comparison.

A ~24-hour sampling is shown.

Ken

Attachments

• M-SolarPanel Output.JPG
    M-SolarPanel Output.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
I have a sunny boy SWR1700 inverter , in the application Im using it in ..

Tell me how to keep track of the output ?

Actually Willbe,

.15 hp is around 111 watts. I know of many 3X5 panels rated for 170 watts and up to around 200 watts. So, a sq yard is 9 sq ft. you,re saying that if you can get 55% out of a solar panel you're doing pretty good?

"The solar constant includes all types of solar radiation, not just the visible light. It is measured by satellite to be roughly 1,366 watts per square meter (W/m²)"

I don't know how much of this is converted by solar panels; maybe half?

"The solar constant includes all types of solar radiation, not just the visible light. It is measured by satellite to be roughly 1,366 watts per square meter (W/m²)"

Do you mean in space?.

No where near that sort of efficiency, at least not on earth.

The most expensive, carefully designed, and complicated solar panels in the world operate at about 40% efficiency.

The rest are about 10% efficient.

Are they up to 40%? Last time I checked, it was only in the 30's, and that was an exotic concentrator cell with multiple layers and using a dang magnifying glass to "concentrate" the sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back