Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure 100microvolt signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Hello

I am in preliminary stages to design a circuit which measures minimum 100µv.

I have figured out that a 16 bit ADC will be sufficient for this (1 bit = 45microvolt for 3v ref)

Any tips,guidelines ,advice when measuring such voltages ?

Also which ADC will be good for such a thing?

Expecting help as usual ;)

Thanks & regards

Last edited:
Hello

I am in preliminary stages to design a circuit which measures minimum 100µv.

I have figured out that a 16 bit ADC will be sufficient for this (1 bit = 45microvolt for 3v ref)

Any tips,guidelines ,advice when measuring such voltages ?

Also which ADC will be good for such a thing?

Expecting help as usual ;)

Thanks & regards

hi,
Get the datasheet for the Maxim AD7705, dual 16bit adc, with inbuilt programmable gain amplifier.

Hi guys

Thanks for replying :)

Well i haven't explained it quite correctly i guess.

Its actually a 20mv signal from a transducer which has to be brought at a 5v level so i will amplify it 250 times.
Now this 5 volt signal has to have a measurable voltage as low as 100µv.

So i was hoping 16 bit will be okay (just about!)

Oh and I will check the Maxim part...thanks

Thanks and regards

amplify first with an OP07, to lift your signal off the noise floor
EDIT: you're already doing that doh! sily me

Last edited:
100uV resolution on a 5V signal is a BIG project, layout and design will be absolutely critical - noise and layout problems can easily swamp the lower bits.

Yes it is a big project :) and thats why i need some inputs.That was a good starting point Nigel but i really hope that you may post a link or something of this sort.If someone has already been through then it will be that much easier for me.Anyways comments like these are welcome :)
Thanks and regards

100uV resolution on a 5V signal is a BIG project, layout and design will be absolutely critical - noise and layout problems can easily swamp the lower bits.

Just to put it in perspective. **broken link removed** that would meet your specs.

What frequency?

Use a digital automatic gain control.

You could use programmable gain amplifier and increase the gain if the signal level is too low.

This will give you a lower number of volts/bit at lower signal levels and a higher voltage/bit at higher signal levels.

You could use programmable gain amplifier and increase the gain if the signal level is too low.

This will give you a lower number of volts/bit at lower signal levels and a higher voltage/bit at higher signal levels.

That is a practical, cost effective, solution that I have seen in the real world. Often, only two gain levels are necessary and you can switch between the outputs of two cheap, fixed gain op amps with a cheap cmos analog switch. In that way, you can avoid compensating for output offset voltage changes, and other issues that come with changing the gain of a single amplifier in precision applications. Of course, in high speed applications that method is problematic due to the switching time and recovery time for the higher gain amplifier to come out of saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back