Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maximizing volume on ISD1700

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

Is there a way I can maximize sound volume with the ISD1700 so that I can hear it at least 1 meter away in a room through a 4.5W 8 ohm speaker?

I asked because then I tried using an LM386 with it, I was told that I'd get worse results when I hooked the LM386 to the analog output pin.

So I wondered at first if the analog in section could be improved on. I know it says 0.1uF capacitor but I used 0.047uF because thats what I can get an abundance of dirt cheap and because its more compact and filters out hum better. The good news is I can still record and playback audio with the 0.047uF capacitor. This is what the datasheet says about the analog input:

AnaIn: Auxiliary analog input to the device for recording or feed-through.
An AC-coupling capacitor (typical 0.1uF) is necessary and the amplitude of
the input signal must not exceed 1.0 Vpp. Depending upon the D3 of APC
register, AnaIn signal can be directly recorded into the memory, mixed with
the Mic signal then recorded into the memory or buffered to the speaker
and AUD/AUX outputs via feed-through path.

Now what really gets me is the AGC pin. They say use 4.7uF capacitor between AGC and ground. Here's the datasheet details:

Automatic Gain Control (AGC): The AGC adjusts the gain of the
preamplifier dynamically to compensate for the wide range of microphone
input levels. The AGC allows the full range of signals to be recorded with
minimal distortion. The AGC is designed to operate with a nominal
capacitor of 4.7 µF connected to this pin.
Connecting this pin to ground (VSSA) provides maximum gain to the
preamplifier circuitry. Conversely, connecting this pin to the power supply
(VCCA) provides minimum gain to the preamplifier circuitry.

Since I'm recording sound directly from my laptop's earphone output, could I just directly ground this pin to get max gain and adjust the volume from the laptop until I get max volume without distortion, then all my problems be solved? or should I use a lower capacitor value?

or am I thinking this all wrong?

Here's a link to the datasheet:

**broken link removed**

Is there a way I can maximize sound volume with the ISD1700 so that I can hear it at least 1 meter away in a room through a 4.5W 8 ohm speaker?

I asked because then I tried using an LM386 with it, I was told that I'd get worse results when I hooked the LM386 to the analog output pin.

As was explained endlessly in your previous thread, power output is restricted by the supply voltage you're using - to add a more powerful amplifier you first need a higher supply voltage for it.

The preamplifier and AGC are for the microphone input that you are not using.
Aren't you using a 5V supply? Then the maximum output to an 8 ohm speaker connected to both speaker terminals is about 0.5W which is like a cheap clock radio.
Maybe the headphones output of your laptop is too low. The input level should be 1V p-p.

Does the volume control button work so that you can increase and decrease the volume? When the volume is increased to maximum output level then the sound will be distorted if the volume is increased higher. Does this happen?

The preamplifier and AGC are for the microphone input that you are not using.

So I guess I wasted a capacitor then

Aren't you using a 5V supply? Then the maximum output to an 8 ohm speaker connected to both speaker terminals is about 0.5W which is like a cheap clock radio.
Well if a cheap clock radio is loud enough then I'd be happy. I guess I'll add a class-d amplifier powered by a higher voltage to the analog output.

Maybe the headphones output of your laptop is too low. The input level should be 1V p-p.

Does the volume control button work so that you can increase and decrease the volume? When the volume is increased to maximum output level then the sound will be distorted if the volume is increased higher. Does this happen?

With the AGC capacitor in place I haven't heard distortion. I can change the volume of the laptop's earphone output.

The datasheet says (and its block diagram shows) that the microphone preamp has AGC (not the aux input).
You should be able to turn up the volume controls until the amplifier output clips like mad producing severe clipping distortion. Your laptop signal is too low for this chip.

Ok, so I need a larger input signal source to make distortion. Would the AGC stop distortion though? This part confuses me. Well at least if I get a teensy amount of distortion then I know I'm on the right track because then I can turn the volume down somewhat at the source to correct things.

Why don't you understand that the microphone preamp has AGC but you do not have a microphone. The Aux input does not have AGC.
AGC is "automatic gain control" so that when you scream into the microphone the AGC detects that the input signal is too high then it reduces the gain so that the output has no clipping distortion.
If the input signal into the aux input is too high then the output to the speaker will have clipping distortion.

The mic input can be attenuated but since its circuit is a differential and your laptop signal is not then it would be difficult without seeing its schematic of the circuit that is inside the IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back