Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

max1811 usb li+ charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

can anyone share a north american source for the MAX1811 ... I see it is a fairly old part (2001), so I'm wondering if it's discontinued.

maxim still lists it in production but Digi-Key, Mouser and Future don't carry it - and I really don't need 1000 units to buy direct from Maxim.

or is there a better part from someone else now? I really like this chip, feed it 4.5 to 6.5 volts, and it'll charge a lithium cell, all that's needed is two capacitors. plus the so8 package is small, but not impossible to solder.

heh, overlook the obvious I guess! already grabbed some samples for a few prototypes, i'll pick up a few more to have layin around

one thing I've got to do more testing on is whether the device actually terminates the charge or simply goes into a constant voltage trickle charge ... the datasheet isn't very clear.

I got some samples of the max1811 not too long ago from Maxim. They have a great samples program, I believe they came in less than a week. I was going to use the max1811 for a project and then I found the max1555 which is another Li+ charger from them. It comes in a small 5 pin sot23 package and only really requires 2 external caps.

that '55 is great for simplicity, but I turned it down in favor of the 1811's 500mA charge rate ... I'm charging 7.8 aH worth of cells, even at 500mA it's going to take some time! I'm looking at the 1898 now which uses an external pass transistor for increased charging current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back