Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mathematics question - Fourier Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouadalnoor

Hi guys,

I am confused about the problem in the attached picture. can someone please explain how he gets the right hand side of that equation?

-> To[1+cos((2*pi*x)/a)]?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 263
Hi,

It looks like they just used the identity:
cos(u)^2=(cos(2*u)+1)/2

You might want to look into reducing trig powers into simpler forms.
Another example would be:
cos(u)^3=(cos(3*u)+3*cos(u))/4

Hi,

It looks like they just used the identity:
cos(u)^2=(cos(2*u)+1)/2

You might want to look into reducing trig powers into simpler forms.
Another example would be:
cos(u)^3=(cos(3*u)+3*cos(u))/4

Hi, yeah thanks! My friend actually pointed that out a little earlier and it all makes sense now. I am really confused about another thing at this point though, take a look at the attached lecture slides:

How does he get the solution in the red box? I can't seem to use the boundary conditions to get all those exponentials involving x...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 264
Hi again,

This is actually easy...below 'd' stands for partial derivative...

They already give this:
du/dt=0 ==>
d^2u/(dx^2)=u ==>
u=Ae^x+Be^-x

so take that equation:
u=Ae^x+Be^-x [EQ1]

and apply the boundary conditions:
u(0,t)=1 and u(1,t)=0

to that equation EQ1, once for each boundary, and that will give you two equations in x from which you can solve for A and B. Once you have the solutions for A and B you can insert them into EQ1 above and you'll get the solution found within the red box.

To apply boundary condition 1 that means that u=1 when x=0, and to apply boundary condition 2 that means u=0 when x=1.

Last edited:
Hi again,

This is actually easy...below 'd' stands for partial derivative...

They already give this:
du/dt=0 ==>
d^2u/(dx^2)=u ==>
u=Ae^x+Be^-x

so take that equation:
u=Ae^x+Be^-x [EQ1]

and apply the boundary conditions:
u(0,t)=1 and u(1,t)=0

to that equation EQ1, once for each boundary, and that will give you two equations in x from which you can solve for A and B. Once you have the solutions for A and B you can insert them into EQ1 above and you'll get the solution found within the red box.

To apply boundary condition 1 that means that u=1 when x=0, and to apply boundary condition 2 that means u=0 when x=1.

Yeah that's what I tried doing...

Boundary 1 says: u(0,t)=1
Boundary 2 says: u(1,t)=0

Thus:

1=A+B
0= Ae^(x)+Be(-x)

Now I dont see how you can get how you find out what A and B are... (I am sure I am just not thinking about it properly, I bet there is a simple solution :confused:)

Yeah that's what I tried doing...

Thus:

1=A+B
0= Ae^(x)+Be(-x)

Now I dont see how you can get how you find out what A and B are... (I am sure I am just not thinking about it properly, I bet there is a simple solution :confused:)

Hi,

That happens to me too when im tired :)

You seem to have just missed it...

So using u=Ae^(x)+Be(-x) and those boundary conditions we get these two equations:
1=Ae^(0)+Be(-0)
0=Ae^(1)+Be(-1)

which of course boil down to:
1=A+B
0=A*e+B/e

and you can solve those two equations for A and B, then insert the results into the equation for u: Ae^(x)+Be(-x). Your result should match that found in the red box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back