Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mass Soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Coholic

OK first of all hi I'm new here :)

Secondly: I am wondering, is there a way to solder all/most of the pads on a stripboard at once, as in like 130 LEDs anode and cathode so 260 pads at once. As I'd rather not sit here and solder 260 pads with a soldering iron, it will take FOREVER; it takes long enough placing all the LEDs in there

Thanks

If it takes 5 seconds per pad it'll take 20 minutes, that's hardly forever, it's not just doable it's trivial if you really want it done. You could use solder paste and a heat gun or a toaster oven as a reflow oven but if you mess it up you'll lose the whole board and there's always a learning curve. Placing the LED's and bending a lead to keep it in place and then soldering each lead isn't really as bad as you might think if you just sit down and do it. If this is for multiple board then you have problems that aren't easy to address. Is this a one off or something you plan on putting into production? If it's a one off, just hand solder it and be done with it, something like that is good to hone your soldering skills on anyways.

If you think that is bad try soldering the connectors to a computer bus.

Better yet, try desoldering the connector...

A while ago I had to drill holes in a PCB and solder 25x 30mm LEDs. Each had ten legs, so 250 holes in total (plus resistors!). It took me about 15 minutes to drill, then another 15 minutes to solder them - four seconds per leg isn't too hard with a decent iron and lots of practice.

Andrew

A while ago I had to drill holes in a PCB and solder 25x 30mm LEDs. Each had ten legs, so 250 holes in total (plus resistors!). It took me about 15 minutes to drill, then another 15 minutes to solder them - four seconds per leg isn't too hard with a decent iron and lots of practice.

then you certainly have a lot of practice. I think i should and try the hard labor only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back