Manchester encoding speed - Nigel's Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I've put together 2 x 16f628 pics and have followed Nigel's pic on RF transmission using Manchester encoding.

If I connect the PIC tx pin to the other PIC rx pin the word "Nigel" is sent on the one PIC and received and displayed on the serial port correctly. Everything A-ok.

I've now put a 433Mhz receiver and transmitter in the loop as per tutorial 12.1 and when transmitting "Nigel" its only received about 50% correctly on the receiver side. Most of the time one of the letters is missing (ie. Ngel or Nige)

I think its got to do with the 433Mhz modules I've got - they are only 2400 baud (Sparkfun tx and rx

In the transmit:
Code:
mtx_init	movlw 	.115 		; 350 usec
		movwf 	mtx_delay
		return

And receive code:
Code:
T		EQU		.39 ; half frame 350 usec (= T * 9 usec)

I figured these are the values that sets the timing.

My first question - is the tutorial code configured for 9600 over wireless? It says 9600 baud but I think thats for the RS232 comms.

I thought to change it to 2400 baud I could just multiply the .115 and .39 by 4 - clearly its a total guess as it didn't work. After changing that I don't receive anything.

How would I go about changing the code to work with a 2400 rx/tx? I hope its something simple as I'm so close to get it working

Here's the for Nigel's tut.

Otherwise I might be completely on the wrong track and its not a timing issue.

Last edited:
Changing those values should be all that is required.

However, the delay in those routines is (according to the comment) 350us for 1 half bit. This gives a baud rate of ~1400 baud and so maybe too slow. Try halving the delay in case your modules have AGC and the rate is too slow.

Note, I only looked at tut12_1.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…