Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a wattmeter with 3 digit LED/LCD display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Hello,

This is my first project in electronics so I will need a lot of advice :D

I want to output to the current wattage by an amplifier in my car to an LCD or LED display. I'm looking for a simple 3-digit display. I assume that I can tap into the car's voltage somewhere. How can I measure the current from the amplifier? Then, I can multiply these 2 results together to get my wattage.

Will I need a microprocessor to execute the multiplication? Also, I'd like to have a looped timer set to about 250 ms, so that it delivers the output on these intervals.

It's probably a simple project for you guys...but this is new to me and I hope I can do it!

Thanks a lot,
Brian[/b]

Hey Duke,

I think people here are a little stumped on your question, so I will attempt to shed a little light on your problem.

To measure current, there are several methods used. You might want to look into www.allegromicro.com for their non-intrusive hall-effect based current sensors which will put out a proportional voltage. I believe these sensors can measure +/-100A.

Alternatively, you can use a simple sense resistor. This would go in-line with your power supply and you would measure the drop-voltage across it to calculate your current. (Ohms Law!!). Remember to make sure the resistor is the proper wattage (I^2XR or VI) or it will cook.

I am not sure how you would measure your actual wattage to your speakers.. You have to remember that you aren't getting 100% efficiency in your switch-mode power supply (your 12V to a higher +/- voltage) or your actual amplifier. If you know the approximate value of your efficiency here, then it would be possible to get a rough estimate.

I am not to sure about measuring directly from your speakers, maybe somebody else here can help you with that. I would think you would need to consider the output impedance and maximum power transfer to get this, but I am not positive.

Steve

Audio power meter

Ok Duke ... how does this sound...

Rather than measuring current to the amp (which will give a constant offset to your readings) why not work on the speaker line directly --

P = I * V
I = V / R

So P = V^2 / R

As R is the speaker and so can be considered to be constant this is just a fixed multiplier.

If you measure the voltage, square it and divide by R ...

A simple exponential circuit can be made with a couple of transistors, you just recalibrate a voltmeter on the output of this to read watts directly.

#### Now all you have to do is work out if there is a display for each of your (four?) speaker channels or are you going to attempt to sum the measurements :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back