Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a momentarty contact switch to power 8 500watt floodlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbraden13

OK i have no clue what any of this circuit mumbo jumbo is but i need to build a spring loaded foot pedal that when i press down on it it completes the circuit so i can have the flood lights all connected to it via single extension cord and off but when i push the button down it completes the circuit and turns them on! how would i build on of these?

Just get one big high current momentary switch and wire it to a foot pedal and add a spring if necessary. It shouldn't be any different from building a normal button.

Last edited:
If these are 120v AC bulbs, that makes 33 Amps, you will need a monster switch, power cord and breaker to handle that kind of power.

Yes, that circuit would be a "light switch". Operate the switch and all the lights on that circuit will go off. For normal 120v operation (US), you'd have to operate them from two circuits and use a contactor or heavy relay to switch them.

Dean

switch

Wear rubber boots when you use this switch,
8 times 500 = 4000 watts of power, a toaster of waffle iron is about 1200
4000 watts / 120 volt is 33.33 amps, your #16 wire extension cord is good for 10 to 15 amps
Have a fire extinguisher handy also. Maybe even an EMT:p

Attachments

• POST2.PNG
    POST2.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Why not a push on/push off foot switch controlling a low voltage to remote electromechanical or solid state relays at the floods.

Ken

Why not the OP return and explain why his first and only post is expected to be taken seriously?

Last edited:
The OP has found a solution in chat. From what I understand there will be 2 relays operated by one "foot switch" and 2 power cords so as to separate the Amperage draw.

everyone needs to calm down, im done! im getting the thing in the mail on thursday, burt already showed me it worked, PEACE!!!

I'd personally work on something that would switch the 8 floodlights on in a sequence.

Halogen bulbs (assuming thats what you're using) have a very very high inrush current so maybe turn them on with a second or two between each floodlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back