Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains voltage and insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbyteword3

I'm designing a clapper circuit for switching mains electricity. I use a 230V 10A relay and 20 AWG wire for switching. Is this reliable? How many watts can it switch? If I exceed the limit, what will happen?

I soldered three wires for the clapper to form a "T" shape, and the wires are exposed. What can be used to insulate it?

I'm designing a clapper circuit for switching mains electricity. I use a 230V 10A relay and 20 AWG wire for switching. Is this reliable? How many watts can it switch? If I exceed the limit, what will happen?

I soldered three wires for the clapper to form a "T" shape, and the wires are exposed. What can be used to insulate it?

You are going to need to clarify things a little. Where you mention AWG 20 wire for example. Is the AWG 20 wire just being used to switch the relay coil on and off? What will the load on the relay contacts be? For example is the relay switching on and off a 100 watt lamp with its contacts?

You may also want to Google and look up wire ampacity charts where the current carrying capabilities of wire are liated by gauge and capacity.

As to how to insulate? A picture would be nice.

I soldered three wires for the clapper to form a "T" shape, and the wires are exposed.

Not sure what you mean with that? These are "line voltage"? What is line voltage in this case?

Ron

I don't have a camera, but the spaces on the lines here represent the exposed wires.
__ __
... l

I use the AWG 20 connected to the mains and the relay to switch a device connected to the mains on/off. How many watts max.?

Last edited:
You are going to need to clarify things a little. Where you mention AWG 20 wire for example. Is the AWG 20 wire just being used to switch the relay coil on and off? What will the load on the relay contacts be? For example is the relay switching on and off a 100 watt lamp with its contacts?

You may also want to Google and look up wire ampacity charts where the current carrying capabilities of wire are liated by gauge and capacity.
n
I use the AWG 20 connected to the mains and the relay to switch a device powered to the mains on/off. How many watts max.?

Watts is a function of the voltage times the current. Wire gauge relates to ampacity as I mentioned. AWG 20 at an average temperature give or take is rated for about 1.5 amps. (There are variables like solid conductor or stranded). So if you use a light bulb as an example at 120 VAC 50/60 Hz. AWG 20 would handle 120 * 1.5 = 180 so about a max of 180 watts. AWG 20 at 220 VAC 50/60 Hz. = 220 * 1.5 = 330 watts. That is very rough estimates and I would work below them. Furthermore AWG 20 is a lousy choice for applications like this.

As to insulating, if you want to join three or four wires at a common junction a common wire nut will work. Any home depot of hardware store should have them.

Ron

Watts is a function of the voltage times the current. Wire gauge relates to ampacity as I mentioned. AWG 20 at an average temperature give or take is rated for about 1.5 amps. (There are variables like solid conductor or stranded). So if you use a light bulb as an example at 120 VAC 50/60 Hz. AWG 20 would handle 120 * 1.5 = 180 so about a max of 180 watts. AWG 20 at 220 VAC 50/60 Hz. = 220 * 1.5 = 330 watts. That is very rough estimates and I would work below them. Furthermore AWG 20 is a lousy choice for applications like this.
Ron

The type of wire insulation and type also dictates the wire ampacity. Just thought I throw in my two cents.

The type of wire insulation and type also dictates the wire ampacity. Just thought I throw in my two cents.

Yeah, I agree but wasn't even going to get into all the variables. I finally let it go with AWG 20 being a lousy choice. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back