Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains Voltage Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi 4pyros, i googled it before and even read it on wiki.
I found that:
Autotransformer is a single-winding transformer in which the primary coil is a fraction of the entire winding for voltage step-up, or the secondary coil is a fraction of the entire winding for voltage stepdown. A Transformer whose output voltage is adjustable from zero (or some minimum value) to maximum. For this purpose, one winding (usually the secondary in a two-winding transformer) can have a number of taps.
Source: Int

I've highlighted the the point here.

Autotransformers are frequently used in power applications to interconnect systems operating at different voltage classes, for example 138 kV to 66 kV for transmission. Another application is in industry to adapt machinery built (for example) for 480 V supplies to operate on a 600 V supply. They are also often used for providing conversions between the two common domestic mains voltage bands in the world (100-130 and 200-250). The links between the UK 400 kV and 275 kV 'Super Grid' networks are normally three phase autotransformers with taps at the common neutral end.
Source: WIKI

The question is same, as said above (from wiki/int): I CAN use an ordinary two winding transformer, by i don't know why tcmtech considered an 'autotransformer'. That was my question from the previous post. I wanted to know the reason behind tcmtech's suggestion. TY

You can use an ordinary two-winding transformer.

The advantage of an autotransformer is that is smaller and lighter than a two-winding transformer, so where isolation isn't required, such as in the way that you are wanting to use it, it should be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back