Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains transient tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
We are making the attached mains transient tester so we can expose our product to high voltage spikes.
Is their any off-the-shelf version of this circuit?
Also, we can only go up to twice mains peak….we need more than that really……anyone know of products which give 1000V peak spikes?

Attachments

• Mains transient tester.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 131
When I worked for DEC (Digital Equipment Corperation.) in the late 1970s and 1980s we used a product made by "Dranetz" that would monitor a single or three phase supply for fast spikes and slow variations of voltage. It printed out the results on a thermal printer. I have just looked at their web page and they do still make power monitors but now they use LCD displays.

Edit. I've just realised that you want to create transients. I was thinking that you wanted to monitor the supply for transients so ignore my comments above.

Les.

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Some ill-concieved immitation of source for surge tests, instead of the recommended setup for example by IEC61000-4-5?

Thanks, but the EN61000-4-5......
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva711/slva711.pdf

...Doesnt have a cheap way of testing your products out.....if you have the transient tester as in the top post, then you can hit your product with 740V peaks and give it a good test......it would be nice if it was a bit higher than that, because 275VAC MOVs can let through slightly higher than 740V

If I wanted a DIY transient generator, I'd prob go with a toroid generating a backemf spike that is clamped to the desired spike amplitude. The trick would be calibrating it for energy delivery, but that could be done as well...as follows....
1) Run the transient generator @ a known low frequency like 500 to 1000 hz....allow the clamped pulses to accumulate in a quality capacitor (say 100uF to 1000 uF) of LO ESR with measured precise capacitance.

With a DSO you can simply record the DeltaV of the capacitor over approx 1 to 2 sec and not worry about Delta T precision...just do the calc. J=C * dv/dt from the scope recording. Dividing by frequency gives you an accurate energy per pulse. Thus u can tweak your kickback pulse toroid inductance with more or less wire turns to give you the desired energy per pulse.

I recently did that exercise to size a kickback snubber circuit...the data was good and the circuit has been in service a few weeks now and all is good. I had 16W of backemf power to snub.

Thanks, but the EN61000-4-5......
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva711/slva711.pdf

...Doesnt have a cheap way of testing your products out.....if you have the transient tester as in the top post, then you can hit your product with 740V peaks and give it a good test......it would be nice if it was a bit higher than that, because 275VAC MOVs can let through slightly higher than 740V
I don´t see what you mean. Take figure 6, use ltspice to tune the components to get the required waveform, maybe look up if someone had done that before. Then get whatever supply and charge Cc to the required voltage, use an SCR or something as the switch and you got your test generator. Not very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back