Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains indicator LEDs more dangerous than neon lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why this thread got closed down:

I myself made a mains indicator with an LED by using a regular diode across the LED in the opposite direction and a power resistor to limit the current. I don't see how that is more dangerous than a neon lamp which is made from glass?

Look at the value of the resistor for each option, and then calculate the current shooting through your heart in each case.

ak

Look at the value of the resistor for each option, and then calculate the current shooting through your heart in each case.
But suppose he touches the other side of the resistor. :arghh:

But suppose he touches the other side of the resistor. :arghh:

Doesn't matter, All About Circuit's doesn't have a flat policy about Neon lamps from mains. They only care about LEDs from mains power. Some genius over there thinks current is somehow special and more lethal when LEDs are present vs when mains is a neon, incandescent, pump, electric fence, TV, etc

I myself made a mains indicator with an LED by using a regular diode across the LED in the opposite direction and a power resistor to limit the current.
Just make sure the resistor has a sufficient power rating.
For example, the resistor power dissipated for a 120V supply with a 10mA LED current is ~1.2W.

To avoid that loss, the current for a line operated LED is often limited by an AC capacitor of the appropriate capacitance and voltage rating, in series with a small resistor to limit the surge current during startup.
For example, for 120Vac, 60Hz, a 0.22uF capacitor will limit the AC current to 10mA with no dissipation loss.
A 1k ohm resistor in series will limit the startup transient current to a safe value (if the LED is turned on at the peak of the AC voltage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back