Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic reed switch orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
OK a totally useless subject.
I've repaired a powerball for someone.
There is a rotating gyroscopic ball inside a sphere that rotates, rotation is measured/counted by a display pcb, theres a reed switch under the board triggered by a magnet in the ball.
This one had been broken, and was so badly smashed I couldnt see the position the switch was.
Is there a particular way a reed switch is more sensitive towards a magnetic field.
I seem to get more sensitivity when the magnet is near the actual contact point, but is hard to tell when you rotate it axially if it makes any kind of difference.

hi dr.

This pdf will help.

E.

Attachments

• AN104.pdf
    314.9 KB · Views: 259
Yes that explains pretty good, thanks.
Extrapolating from that the magnet within the ball must be end ways on.
They must balance its weight out as the reed only closes once per rev.

Edit: powerball now works, no idea how these geysers get 15krpm from them I can only get 5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back