Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnetic gererator and capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.wade

Hey All,

Have been given the task of creating a circuit powered by a rotating magnet in a copper coil that will charge a capacitor long enough to light an LED for 600 seconds after the rotating magnet has stopped.

In all the magnet charge up torches I've opened, there are two 3V Lithium Cells (CR 2032) between the generator and the circuit. These cells aren't rechargable. The current from the generator is AC.

I know this shouldn't be too difficult, but can't figure out how to approach it with so many unknown variables. Just looking for any help possible for value of capacitor or resistor.

Voltage for LED = 1.5V
Power for LED ≈ 4mW
Current for LED ≈ 2.7mA
t for capacitance discharge = 600s

I know that in Faraday's Law of Induction, the magnetic flux in Webers is defined by the equation. But what does the change in time represent? What time is it referring too in the process of passing the magnet through a single loop?

I've entered the values into the capacitance equation and come out with 1.08F. However all capacitors I've found are measured in pF.

Any help at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• generator.JPG
    generator.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 116
The time is basically the time it takes for the magnet to go through the loop.

Farad sized capacitors are available. They are called supercaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back