Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnesium Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
A while back I mentioned a old oil rig with Magnesium power, apparently magnesium rods were lowered into the water and it was used to power the rig experiments. I cant find the original information!!! Which is a shame, I thought it might interest a certain mod.

Anyway having a search about I found other info, Its got a few wrinkles but on the whole looks a good candidate for batteries. Just thought others might find it interesting, should be easy to play with. This Abstract is from a review looking at rechargeable Magnesium batteries. The overall potential is higher than that of Lithium polymers, which surprised me.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079642514000449

Anyone really interested, pm me if you cant get hold of the info.

I believe that the chemistry isn't quite right yet!!! Very promising but they can only be charged once... The oxidisation kills any hope of recharging.. Once these work, they will be the next best battery... They don't blow up when warm!! That's got to be a bonus!!

Per Kg (no idea why they use the Kg) they hold more charge as well. I have seen some info on a few wet types, the main issue with those is they need Oxygen. And the oxidation needs to be removed, I think the sea one worked because the tide kept the Magnesium 'clean'.

I still cant find the info in it though. They would be heavier than Lithium, but much much safer unless you caught them on fire. Interesting technology though

I assume you read the Wiki entry?
I did but some of it seemed slightly out of date. Having said that...........It looks like there is alot of work and progress being made daily on the technology. I think the car industry will be a major driver is this tech. Companies like Tesla will be looking for better solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back