Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mac vs. pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero, it's pretty much the same as any product in existence today. The first model year of a car is always buggy and has recalls and problems that aren't worked out until a few model years have gone buy and the complaints and problems have been identified.

Marks256 said:
Do you have Vista, hero?
No, and by the time it becomes compulsory I intend to be using something other than Winblow$.

hero999 said:
No, and by the time it becomes compulsory I intend to be using something other than Winblow$.

Such as? :D

There's only two other choices really. A Mac or Linux. Both are viable options for people that want to learn something different.

Sceadwian said:
There's only two other choices really. A Mac or Linux. Both are viable options for people that want to learn something different.

Make that BSD and Linux.. And I use BSD.

I played with Mepis linux some more today, and i kinda like it. I am still waiting for suse, though...

There is something wrong with the OpenSUSE 10.2 download site. With my crappy internet, i was only able to download EXACTLY 1.0GB of the some 3.6GB DVD. The funny thing is, the tech coordinator at my school was only able to download EXACTLY 2.0GB of the same ~3.6GB file (and that is right next to the fiber-optic switch [getting about 3MB+/s])...

What gives? My friend is torrenting it. hopefully i will have it next week... :rolleyes:

I don't want to get into an argument or anything but BSD is the same ilk as Linux. They're both based on Unix. Linux's original name was FreaX, someone named Ari Lemmke changed the name because he hosted the original kernel and it stuck. FreaX was supposed to mean Free Linux. Some liken the Linux name to Linus Torvalds name, but the spirit should remain the same, it's a free or as close as legally possible version of Unix. If you're uncomfortable with being called a Linux user then consider your two choices to be.

A Unix like operating system.
Or windows.

MacOS' core is derived from BSD so it's actually in the same class as Linux (BSD is basically Linux's brother) just with a big commercial buffer inbetween.

Last edited:
Since you're on Hughes, better to have him DVD it.

Nope, i have Wild Blue...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how many people have used this, but...

**broken link removed**

(be sure to go though all the options... it's great.)

I have seen that before, but i didn't know that it was interactive! :D That is hillarious.

Marks256 said:
I haven't decided, if I need to buy a new PC anyway it might be a Mac, there again if I keep my crappy PC then it'll be Linux. I don't normally upgrade to run new bloatware, I normally only upgrade when something breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back