Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

M-Audio BX5 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very high, pretty well any modern board is at least double sided.

However, as long as you've not damaged the board it makes no difference - the two sides are joined together internally (through hole plated), so you only need to solder from the bottom side anyway.
Alright thank you, also how can I find what temperature to set my soldering iron?

I replaced the ic... Still the same 2 hours down the drain. I don’t know if I should take back off the heat sink and everything to get to that questionable zener diode but even if I do remove it I don’t know the rating or even if it is a zener. Just feeling really useless right now.

Download the datasheet for the chip - and then check the voltages on the different pins.

Pins 7+13 should be about +30v, pins 8+15 should be about -30v. Pin 14 is the output, and should be close to 0v.

Download the datasheet for the chip - and then check the voltages on the different pins.

Pins 7+13 should be about +30v, pins 8+15 should be about -30v. Pin 14 is the output, and should be close to 0v.
But I just switched them out you think there would still be a problem with the Ic?

Also It gets hot very fast I usually shut it off after a 20 seconds or less because I’m afraid it’ll just ruin it further.

Get the meter probe on one of the pins to measure, then turn the power on - read the voltage, then turn it off - let it cool down. Repeat for the other pins.

Get the meter probe on one of the pins to measure, then turn the power on - read the voltage, then turn it off - let it cool down. Repeat for the other pins.
Alright I’ll do that, but then what? I don’t think replacing the ic AGAIN will help. I’m just sick of this ic. I just don’t see how measuring it will lead me to the problem, it’s apparently somewhere else, but who knows.

Thank you for sticking with me through this mess though I know it’s probably equally frustrating for you dealing with a whiny teenage kid

Alright I’ll do that, but then what? I don’t think replacing the ic AGAIN will help. I’m just sick of this ic. I just don’t see how measuring it will lead me to the problem, it’s apparently somewhere else, but who knows.

There could be something blowing the IC, but measuring the voltages gives you some idea of what's going on.

So funny story, I put off the speaker for a while but yesterday I got back to it to see if I could find the problem once again, and I think it's fixed!! I just don't know how. That zener diode I mentioned earlier, I held a 4007 fast switching diode in the same direction as the zener and it powered on perfectly! I even took the diode away and the circuit was still working!? I then powered it off, waited a little bit then turning it back on. There is n more buzzing, popping, or completely cutting out. My theory is the zener was to protected excess voltage and the breakdown voltage made it (stuck) where fixing the polarity with the regular diode brought it back to life? I don't know if you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back