Luminated switch for prop replica

DaveLadkin

Hi there,
I have to wire up x3 5 pin illuminated push buttons for a prop replica, and just need a little guidance on powering just the light in the switch. The switches will have to function other than to be lit up.

These are 12v switches. Do I need a 12v battery per switch, or is there a minimum voltage battery I can use to power just the light?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_141109.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 134
9V may work, it depends on the type & arrangement of illumination in the switch.
A lower voltage (less than 12V will not do any harm, to experiment.
I'd have the power going to first switch, and then first to second and then second to third (- to -, and + to +). Its been a very long time since I've done any electronics work.

Thank you all very much for the advice! I got it working although I'm not sure a 9v battery is enough as the lights seem quite dim.
The block is just until the switches are in place in the prop. Is the block the issue, or do I need to add more power?

My intention is to seal the small compartment this will all be contained in so I was going to add usb chargeable batteries with a "hidden" usb plug incorporated into a side of the compartment casing. Good idea?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802-192330_Gallery.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 112
The picture is was taken in a dim room, but yes they need to be a bit brighter. As these are 12v switches, I'm assuming that I would need to give the full voltage. Does that sound right?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…