Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Looks like LT has released a new version of the venerable LTSpice IV, (or is this old news?) The thumbnail preview alone is worth a download:)

LTspice XVII

LTspice XVII is partial rewrite of LTspice IV with a modern graphics library for native multi-monitor support. XVII also includes:

• 64-bit support
  • UNICODE (use any character of any living language)
  • New device equations (IGBT, soft recovery, and an arbitrary state machine)
  • Improved GUI: Editors for most SPICE syntax commands
  • Extensions to Microsoft Windows for schematic thumbnail previews
LTspice XVII runs on 32- or 64-bit editions of Windows 7, 8 or 10. Windows XP is not supported. Windows XP users can run LTspice IV, which will still be available in observance of Linear Technology Corporation's zero obsolescence tradition.
https://ltspice.linear-tech.com/software/LTspiceXVII.exe

Has anyone tried this yet? What did ya think? I'm gonna give it a try and will post my thoughts on it.

So far, it looks pretty much the same as LTSpice IV, but it does show a screen preview when opening a file which is handy when you have lots a files and don't remember the name.
See screenshot below:

ltspicethumbnail.PNG

How did you handle your added model files with the new version?

How did you handle your added model files with the new version?
It looks like the same directory structure as LTIV, so I imagine you can just copy your files over to the new directory. One other thing you will have to do is be sure to change the new version to be the default application for opening .asc files, or when you click to open from say the ETO page, the older version will be invoked. For example, I been wanting to learn how to use the thermal models in LTspice, so yesterday I started going through the LTspice tutorial page for the SOAtherm, when I clicked on the example file SOAtherm-NMOS Example suggested in the tutorial, and ran the simulation, my LTSpice Crashes. I noticed that file version IV was opened when I clicked on the filename. Have not figured out why the sim crashes as I have not had time to look into it yet.
I am heading up to Santa Barbara for the night, so I will work on sorting things out upon my return.

Last edited:
I have been using LTspiceIV for years. IV is "4" isn't it? Now they have XVII which is 17. Where were all the version numbers from 5 to 16?
The old "asc" images in my files look different and when I open them then the LTspiceXVII opens them.

I have been using LTspiceIV for years. IV is "4" isn't it? Now they have XVII which is 17. Where were all the version numbers from 5 to 16?
The old "asc" images in my files look different and when I open them then the LTspiceXVII opens them.
Maybe they are using it by definition of Cardinal Number. Here is definition from a Free Dictionary:
cardinal number
or
cardinal numeral
n
1. (Mathematics) a number denoting quantity but not order in a set. Sometimes shortened to: cardinal
(Mathematics) maths logic
a. a measure of the size of a set that does not take account of the order of its members. Compare natural number
b. a particular number having this function
3. (Logic) maths logic
a. a measure of the size of a set that does not take account of the order of its members. Compare natural number
b. a particular number having this function
Just a guess.:confused:

Perhaps LT are being forward-looking and it's next year's version...2017. :D. (Haven't checked if the IV version dates back to 2004!).

I been wanting to learn how to use the thermal models in LTspice, so yesterday I started going through the LTspice tutorial page for the SOAtherm, when I clicked on the example file SOAtherm-NMOS Example suggested in the tutorial, and ran the simulation, my LTSpice Crashes. I noticed that file version IV was opened when I clicked on the filename. Have not figured out why the sim crashes
Well, I thought I would report back on the issue mentioned above. After setting LT17 as the default program for .asc files, running the simulation for the SOAtherm example no longer crashes, so that is cool, and now I can go through the tutorial. See screen shot below:

SOAthermload.PNG

One other new feature (at least as far as I know) I just stumble across is that you can now set you Y-axis to nyquist, sort like the smith chart but I have not quite figured out how it correlates yet. If anyone care to explain it, that would be great :)

smithchart.PNG

Just in case there are those who do not know how to change their default program for .asc (LTspice files), I am providing a little mini tutorial here.
Note: This write-up was done using Win 7, but I am hoping it is similar for other windows versions. Refer to image below (Fig 1)

1. Right click .ASC file
  2. Click properties tab
  3. In the Opens with option, click the change option (see fig 1)
  4. Click Browse
  5. Navigate to the directory where you installed LTspice17 ie. C:\LTC\LTspiceXVII
  6. Left click XVIIx64.exe to highlight the file, then click the open tab, click okay.
defaulttut1.PNG

You should be all set.

Does the XVII version have any known drawbacks over the old version (e.g. restrictions, smaller libraries)?

Hi

There were numerous issues with LTspiceXVII. Many have been fixed or are queued to be fixed. Check with the LTspice yahoo group.

Hi

There were numerous issues with LTspiceXVII. Many have been fixed or are queued to be fixed. Check with the LTspice yahoo group.
I am not a member of Yahoo group, can you give an example issue?

17 is for the 17 year aniversary of LTspice.

There are some variations in the models. last night I spent a few hours merging my model customisations into the new models. It will be interesting to see if there is any impact.

The main variation observed so far in the standard components is the prolific presence of "ksubthres=.1" in the standard.mos definitions. I haven't run anything in it yet due to needing the libraries merged.

I am not a member of Yahoo group, can you give an example issue?

Hi

One example for LTSpiceXVII is a missing simulation status that normally shows up in the status bar during a simulation run. This was fixed about Aug 29.

I'm not going to report on LTspice bugs because that info is best obtained from the LTspice Group.

Hi

One example for LTSpiceXVII is a missing simulation status that normally shows up in the status bar during a simulation run. This was fixed about Aug 29.

I'm not going to report on LTspice bugs because that info is best obtained from the LTspice Group.

At any rate, I find the new update to be fairly stable and I am happy with the new update. :)

Just found the da Vinci background which is kinda cool. Go into Tools -> Control Panel -> Operation tab then select background image

Hi All,

I found LTSpice17 crash while strart simulation ( run ).

Herewith the screenshot pictures of the err msg.
Pls advice how to solve.

Thanks n regards / josef

upload_2016-11-21_4-22-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back