Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice: Saving Drafts etc in Win10

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
Running LTspice 4.23h in Win10.
If I try to save a draft schematic without having renamed it I get the message
SaveDraft.PNG
LTS is trying to save to a privileged area (as it did successfully in WinXP), even though the default path for drafts is allegedly set for a User area :-
Settings.PNG
A similar problem arises if I try to exit LTS without saving anything. A pop-up invites me to save the draft to the privileged area.
A work-around is either to use the 'Save as' option to rename the draft, or to run LTS as Administrator.
Surely that shouldn't be necessary?
Anyone else having this problem/inconvenience? Is it an LTS bug?

Running LTspice 4.23h in Win10.
If I try to save a draft schematic without having renamed it I get the message
View attachment 94493
LTS is trying to save to a privileged area (as it did successfully in WinXP), even though the default path for drafts is allegedly set for a User area :-
View attachment 94494
A similar problem arises if I try to exit LTS without saving anything. A pop-up invites me to save the draft to the privileged area.
A work-around is either to use the 'Save as' option to rename the draft, or to run LTS as Administrator.
Surely that shouldn't be necessary?
Anyone else having this problem/inconvenience? Is it an LTS bug?

The behavior you describe is normal for windows 10. Windows 10 is more restrictive with folder/file permissions than previous versions. You have a couple of options:

1. LTspice doesn't have to be installed in "Program Files" folder. You can install it in any folder outside of "Program Files", thereby avoiding the privileged area. There may be an issue, however, if any "include" statements on schematics contain explicit folder paths.

2. Change folder permissions to allow read/write access to lib/* installation folders, and other folders of your choosing, for the user account.

I recommend option 1.

BTW,
The temp path is used for temporary files created by LTspice, not the default path for saving schematic files. The default path for schematic files is the LTspice installation folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back