Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice needs a high power laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
We've just purchased a new laptop, a "Lenovo Yoga 510".
It comes with a 20V, 45W Power adapter. The docs that came with the laptop
confirms that this is right.
We believe that LTspice needs at least a 120W laptop power supply, because LTspice
makes the computer's processors use a lot of energy.
Do you agree?

Ltspice should take no more power than the proper adapter can deliver, so I see no reason to go to a higher power adapter.

Hello,
We've just purchased a new laptop, a "Lenovo Yoga 510".
It comes with a 20V, 45W Power adapter. The docs that came with the laptop
confirms that this is right.
We believe that LTspice needs at least a 120W laptop power supply, because LTspice
makes the computer's processors use a lot of energy.
Do you agree?

Hi

No...I disagree..
Standard Laptop Computers are usually designed such that the power supply will provide more than enough power for the battery charging and provided CPU. It's a whole different story for overclocked systems. LTspice will run as fast as the "system resources" will allow it to run.

eT

There are various power settings on Lenovo/Win10, enabling you to balance performance against power consumption.
LTS should run fine with any power setting, albeit faster if you use the max performance setting.

Totally disagree.

The computer would not draw any more power if the external PSU was rated at 1000W.
As long as the voltage is correct, it will take the same power regardless of PSU rating; if the voltage is wrong it will either not work or be damaged.

Any program will run at whatever speed the CPU in the machine can handle. A slower machine just means a longer wait for the results.

No normal laptop would use 120W continuously - it would melt.. For that power it would take a gaming-grade machine with special cooling included, or preferably a desktop machine - they are infinitely more practical if you need high computing performance and a half or third the cost of a very high performance laptop, for the same results.

new laptop, ....... LTspice
One of the places I work at: I ordered a fast computer with two very high resolution monitors.
---budget cuts---
I got nothing. The manager yelled at IT for a long time. They pulled a computer out of the wall and handed it to me. No USB. No serial poets. Only one monitor port. (low resolution) No place to plug in a video board. The computer is 19" x19 inches x 1 and 3/4 inch tall. (48cm x 48cm x 4.5cm)
I loaded up spice and ran a sim. Very very fast. (very large amount of cores) (more memory than you can believe) (4- solid state HDDs)
SPICE and FPGA needs good monitors but I have never seen a computer that fast.

Ron S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back