Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTSpice - 74HC00 NANDs not latching like build in Digital SR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

Has this been seen before? The Digital SR is working great. I then replaced it with real components, 74-00 Nands (not open drain) and it failed, so I've got the two side by side.

[outb] (incorrect) should track [outa]. It's correct up until [s1] switches (to 2.7v) at 57ms, at which point it's pulled low but doesn't latch. :banghead:

Screenshot_2020-04-14_11-14-22.png

I then replaced it with real components, 74-00 Nands (not open drain) and it failed,
The minimum recommended supply voltage for a 7400 (as distinct from a 74HC00) is 4.75V. You seem to be giving it only 3.3V.
As with all LTS-related threads, please post your asc file.

I tried the sim and it works as expected for me.
Have you set Vcc=3.3 for the Nand gates?
Have you taken into account that A5 is +ve edge high-level triggered and the Nand latch is -ve edge low-level triggered?

Last edited:
I didn't know that about the Nand being -ve, so I wonder if the slew is too great from the comparator (although the falling edge is much sharper)? It's all I can come up with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-14_15-30-00.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-14_15-30-00.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_2020-04-14_15-31-22.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-14_15-31-22.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 197
asc file?

I think I have it,

There's a closed loop, the NAND toggles an output which is part of the comparator input, it causes the comparator voltage to sag slightly but enough to ensure the NAND doesn't latch. It then oscillates. Unsure how to resolve it other than a monostable before the NAND. The voltage change is enough that I can't overcome it using hysteresis on the comparator (have tried).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-14_16-09-25.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-14_16-09-25.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 194
A better screenshot.
Screenshot_2020-04-14_16-19-42.png

I can't post the asc this time :(, too much stuff my competitors would like to see.
So the output is changing the input too fast before it latches (I think).

As for the sim, the LTS digital 'A' devices don't always behave as you'd expect or like their real-world counterparts. For example, if the S and R inputs of the LTS SRflop are both high, the Q output goes low, whereas for a CD4013 latch the Q and _Q outputs both go high according to the TI datasheet.

Post #4 edited.

Last edited:
I can't post the asc this time :(, too much stuff my competitors would like to see.
Just copy the circuit you showed in the first post to another LTspice window and post the .asc of that.

I'm sorted!, changed from NAND or NOR gates which matches LTSpice's SR gate. Something to do with the leading/trailing edge trigger, or a mystery!

Nearly sorted, almost.

I added the first SR and the stepping source hung considerably, but then started.

I added the second SR and the stepping source hangs and finally comes up with an error in another component.

Usually when I've had these issues I've added resistance or a little capacitive delay where needed but so far this hasn't worked. It looks like LTSpice is confused by the initial state of the gates when the outputs are wired into inputs.

If I cut the wire with the cross it runs.

Screenshot_2020-04-15_11-14-55.png

You can usually overcome startup ambiguities by adding an initial condition command, such as .ic v(n) = x, where n is a node of interest and x is a chosen voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back