Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low part voltage buffers for multiple microcontroller pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I want to protect the output pins of a microcontroller so that when I connect to other devices (that may accidently short to ground). Up until now I have been using a discrete npn transistor in common collector configuration to act as a voltage follower and to simultaneously drive an output led.
This works fine and is small (tiny transistor and a few resistors) but when I am using a lot of outputs that I would like to protect it would be nice to lower the part count.
Is it better to use a quad opamp configured as for voltage followers? or a hex/octal buffer IC? If the latter, what is a good IC to use?

The leds I drive are low current (<2mA) and I am typically driving 100k loads (or high impedence)

Hi,

If you only have to worry about shorts to ground then a device like the 74LS05 or similar might do the trick. It's a hex inverting open collector driver and is hardier than the CMOS version.
The 74LS07 is open collector buffer with higher voltage output ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back