Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Cost Low Power RGB LED Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

Can anyone recommend a decent low-cost low-price RGB LED, please? I don't mind ordering from one of the Chinese vendors on ebay, if you've had good experiences with them.

I'd like to experiment with color fading/mixing algorithms, but, as always, I'm on a tight budget.

TIA. Cheerful regards, Mike

Here is a part that is through hole so it should be easy to experiment with. (not surface mount)
$1.65 for one at digikey.com
$1.40 each at 10.
You are in the USA so you might try RadioShack.

Attachments

• WP154A4SUREQBFZGW.pdf
    373.3 KB · Views: 308
Thank you, guys. I appreciate the suggestions.

Has anyone tried RGB LEDs from the Chinese vendors? Prices of 8 to 10 cents per LED (quantity 100) is really tempting.

I purchased a hundred 3mm 2-pin red/green LEDs from China a couple months ago and I'm quite pleased with the quality (pictured below on a CDP1802 Cosmac ELF clone).

Cheerful regards, Mike

led test.png

A few years ago I purchased some RGB LEDs from ebay. Very surprisingly, the red element is much dimmer than the green or blue. This was several years ago, so I'm not going to mention where they came from. This may have been a bad batch and quality may have improved.

jfyi, the cree leds I mentioned are very much hand iron solderable:woot:, all the items I ever list are all hand iron solderable, and those are pretty easy to hand solder:)

jfyi, the cree leds I mentioned are very much hand iron solderable:woot:, all the items I ever list are all hand iron solderable, and those are pretty easy to hand solder:)
Do you have any pictures of projects using those, Joe? I'd love to see them...

TIA... Mike

20130421_191147.jpg

these are the only pictures of that led in use that I still have, the brd is used in the "wally" vehicle in the vedio. I got burglarized last year:arghh:011.jpg this one is a Avago white led with a similar package except for the lens. I have ordered more of the Cree leds but they haven't arrived as of yet, I'll be using them for a motorcycle lighting display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back