Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low battery indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrik

Is there a simple way/circuit to detect that the battery powering a PIC is running low and needs to be changed before its too late?

Excuse my ignorance but doesn't the A/D converter need a reference which in this case would be the supply voltage, which would be dropping at the same rate as the analogue signal of the battery supply.

I'm using a 16F876a

If you use a constant voltage source and measure that with the ADC, as the battery voltage falls, the ADC reference falls but the voltage you are measuring doesn't.

Therefore the value you read back from the ADC will increase as the battery voltage drops and you can work out what the battery voltage is.

geko said:
If you use a constant voltage source and measure that with the ADC, as the battery voltage falls, the ADC reference falls but the voltage you are measuring doesn't.

Therefore the value you read back from the ADC will increase as the battery voltage drops and you can work out what the battery voltage is.

Yes battery powers regulator, regulator powers PIC, so measure raw battery voltage before the regulator by using a two resistor divider and measureing 1/2 battery voltage with the PICs A/D function. In your software you can compare A/D value with a constant value you select and do something meaningful when the battery goes below your setpoint value.

Lefty

The PLVD module requires no I/O. It can be set for different voltage levels and will generate an interrupt.

The PIC16F917 has one. 7 programmable trip points from 1.9V to 4.5V page 125 of the datasheet.

Yes battery powers regulator, regulator powers PIC,

Actually that's not what I meant.

You power the PIC from the battery and use a micro power voltage reference IC, for example an LM385 to present a constant voltage at the AD input of the PIC.

quickrik said:
Excuse my ignorance but doesn't the A/D converter need a reference which in this case would be the supply voltage, which would be dropping at the same rate as the analogue signal of the battery supply.

I'm using a 16F876a

hi,
Have a look at the +Vref options in the datasheet, the setting I have in mind is +2.5V. Buy a 2V5 reference ic.[ or a 2.7V zener]

Wow, thanks for all the replies these are all some really good ideas.

I'm going to try leftys voltage divider on the battery to start with because thats simple and I've already got the components

Thank Rik

quickrik said:
Wow, thanks for all the replies these are all some really good ideas.

I'm going to try leftys voltage divider on the battery to start with because thats simple and I've already got the components

If you're using a voltage regulator it's the method that makes the most sense - and it's cheap!.

Thanks for the help on this. I tried it last night and it worked a treat! I put a pot inseries with the battery to simulate it running down and fine tune my alarm. Came out supprised how little voltage a PIC can run on, don't know how reliably though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back