Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Losing things

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
1. What have you lost?
2. How long before you missed it?
3. How long before you found it?
4. Where was the oddest place you found it?

1. A zip lock bag full of drills and taps

2. Missed it within 15 minutes.

3. About 3 days when I went to fill up the ice cube bin.

4. In the freezer. I had laid the zip lock tools on the table and taken some zipped lock bags out access the ice cube trays. When the Zip locks went back in the freezer, so did the dill bits and taps.

1: Too many things to list or admit to.
2: As soon as I needed it.
3: As soon as I bought a new one and went to put it someplace I would to lose that one. (Same place the old one was put so I wouldn't lose it either.)
4: They are always right where I left them but not where I remember leaving them until I find them. That's the odd part.

Whats odd for me is when I do the occasional deep cleaning and organizing (once every 2 - 5 years) of one of the places I store stuff and I find lots of things I know I never brought home. :confused:

I have a rather odd story about losing my sunglasses.
My sunglasses disappeared one day from where I normally kept them in the house, and I could not find them anywhere. I finally gave up and bought some others.
One day a few months later I was in my garage looking in a cabinet for something else and I noticed my glasses in their case laying on the top shelf, about 7 feet (about as high as I could reach) above the floor.
Now I hadn't been in that cabinet for many months and I can think of no possible reason why I would have put my sunglasses on that cabinet shelf, even if I had been in the cabinet.

So it's a Twilight Zone mystery as to how they got from my dresser, where I normally kept them, to the top shelf of that garage cabinet.
I think we had a poltergeist or a small worm-hole in the house. :eek:

I think everyone ( over 30 ) does this more and more... I have found screwdivers in the fridge, in the cooker just about anywhere... I should imagine hundreds of pounds of tools have accidentally gone in the bin...

When something goes missing, my greatest fear is that I threw some small tool out in messy rags, but that hasn't happened to me in more than 15 years. Whatever is misplaced seems always to turn up. It is particularly frustrating, though, when I was just using it less than 5 minutes before.

Fairly recently, I "lost" both of my center punches. I have already forgotten where I found one. The better one was in a pocket of some jeans in the closet. Drove me crazy for more then two weeks. Surprisingly, I found both within a day or two of each other.

Misplacing things in the bench is not frequent but when working in my cluttered desk, it is.

I realized that most of the items I loose it is always when I leave them "somewhere" covered by another item removed (quite common when searching for things) in a hurry.

At sea, never had that problem; everything was in my cabin and there, there was not much to loose. Problem was when I started to work as a Supercargo, sometimes being on board of three or four vessels in t he same day. Just to ensure my survival I became very strict with my "ceremonies" when packing things in my briefcase or where I put things on the table or in my pockets. It took time but helped a lot.

Being on board of vessel B, just arrived from vessel A, and talking about vessel C, demanded an additional effort like using the right stowplan to discuss the operation with someone on the phone some 10.000 Km away...:p

Some three weeks ago when I went to pick up the laundry and asked how much, the guy at the counter said: you have paid already; here is your change. He found a nice amount in the pocket of one of my trousers that I had been missing.

Last edited:
1. Some recent memories.
2. Can't remember.
3. Can't remember.
4. n/a
:)

So it's a Twilight Zone mystery as to how they got from my dresser, where I normally kept them, to the top shelf of that garage cabinet.
I think we had a poltergeist or a small worm-hole in the house. :eek:

hi Carl,
Did you by chance, happen to see a pair of high quality wire cutters next to your sunglasses on that 7ft high shelf, I have looked everywhere else.!!:woot:

I think it could be an example of Quantum level entanglement at work.

E

Last edited:
My mind.

Which makes finding it an impossibility...

<EDIT>Fortunately, it just shows back up on its own (like now). That, and the fact that my wife is usually the one who let's me know that it's happened :banghead:.

Last edited:
There's at least one consolation: The stuff is usually found in the last place you look!

We lost mom's ID and medical info for about 3 weeks. I knew it was used at a doctor's office and I got it back and I was 99% sure I had it when we ate lunch at the restaurant. Evidently, I didn't not put it in it's final resting place and usually her ID is not with her insurance cards. They now will be kept together. She always separated insurance cards especially ones that are SSN based.

So, either I put it on her bed for her to put away or I/her put it on the dresser/calendar/schedule close to where it belongs and a common "catch-all" spot before a final resting place.

So, it dropped into an open drawer. I had that happen not to long ago, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back