Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for someone that repairs circuit boards for cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have an FMC tire balancer that went on the blink, I have talked to a couple of service personnel and after following there troubleshooting instructions they both said that the circuit board is bad. I took it apart and proceeded to break one of the semi conductors (that's just a guess as to what that thing is). I am looking for someone that is qualified to repair this, not just the part that I broke, I found one of them on Ebay for like $5 including shipping. It is SN74LS04N. I see no burn marks or solder breaks. The equipment service guy's are both quoting me more than what I would consider the machine to be worth.
Any of you do that sort of thing? And if so what do you think I might be looking at as far as cost goes? Thanks, Paul

The part you broke is a lowly, ordinary hex inverter. Available for $0.68 from DigiKey. Of course, we don't know that this is the problem with the board.

What we don't know is what "package" this part is in. If it's a DIP (dual in-line pin) package, then a new one can be easily soldered in, if that's all that's wrong with this board. Otherwise, it'll take someone with some pretty good soldering skills to fix it.

The "N" says DIP. Replacing isn't hard as long as it isn't in an 8 layer board or worse. Service info + the ability to test is the ideal, otherwise its basically inspect/replace.

Surprised the mfr doesn't offer repair/exchange.

Can do it. East coast. Zero promises. The logic chips are sensitive to overvoltages. 5% of 5V is too much.

The part that I broke just pushes in and I doubt that it was the problem, I don't normally get that lucky. I was essentially just playing with it when I broke it. I need someone that can troubleshoot it and replace what's actually broken. Does that FMC Repair do that sort of thing?

Just a little more information for you all. The machine sat for about 2 years in indoor storage, was never dropped or mishandled since it has been in my possession. I know that it worked before I relocated to TN. from CA.
I set it up in my new garage and found that it would spin about 5-8 revolutions then stop with a generalized error message on the display. I tried to run the calibration sequence with the same result. At first I thought it was just a run capacitor or a contact relay but have eliminated both of those. If you remove the optical sensor from it's mounting location without unplugging the wires it will run for an abnormal length of time before it throws an error code and stops.
The service guy's that I talked to both had me do a couple of function test's one that checks the optic sensors and one that checks the relays and motor, both check out so their diagnosis was a problem with the main board.
Any idea's? Thanks, Paul

Thanks for the help. I went to that site and gave them the run down on it. I will let you know what they say. It's a FMC 4100. I already downloaded a manual it wasn't much help, it was just an operators manual. Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back