Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for RF circuits for my robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

baohead

I already searched the web, can't find any schematics suitable
My robot have 8 triggers that i have to send: forward,backward,left,right,
LED1,2,3,4. I already finish the robot and able to control it throught wires.
So I want to make it wireless now. It's there any RF circuit that is suitable for this project. Am I supposed to use something like microcontroller?

Thanks

baohead said:
I already searched the web, can't find any schematics suitable
My robot have 8 triggers that i have to send: forward,backward,left,right,
LED1,2,3,4. I already finish the robot and able to control it throught wires.
So I want to make it wireless now. It's there any RF circuit that is suitable for this project. Am I supposed to use something like microcontroller?

Licence free radio modules and micro-controllers are the usual way to do it, although for simple on/off functions, Holtek sell pre-programmed micro-controllers that will do the job.

baohead said:
Thanks, if i want to program it myself, how am I supposed to do it and for the circuit?

Programming it yourself obviously depends on what processor you choose, personally I use PIC's, but there are plenty of alternatives - if you already have programming experience on some other controller, it makes sense to stick with what you know.

As for the circuit, you can usually find all you need on the datasheets for the RF modules.

However, there are some circuits I used a few years ago at which you might find useful. The software I used is very crude, but it worked perfectly for the purpose I wrote it for.

http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm. I think that's all you should need. You can use a Ming transmitter and receiver along with the Holtek HT-640 8-Bit Encoder and Holtek HT-648L 8-Bit Decoder ICs. Here's a kit that should have everything you need for $38.00. http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/8-bit-ming.htm. I think they have a pretty good range too. Will these work?

Edit: And this page even gives you some detail on the T/R modules and the encoders and decoders: http://www.rentron.com/RF-Remote.htm

Thanks for the info guys : )
It helps a lot, but I looking for circuits that I can build from zero to the whole thing. Like placing the capacitors, crystal, and RF circuit myself and using my own PICs. I want to learn something about it. The websites looks like that everything is preprogrammed, a entire object. Is there any more websites? Thanks

baohead said:
Thanks for the info guys : )
It helps a lot, but I looking for circuits that I can build from zero to the whole thing. Like placing the capacitors, crystal, and RF circuit myself and using my own PICs. I want to learn something about it. The websites looks like that everything is preprogrammed, a entire object. Is there any more websites? Thanks

The point of the RF modules is that they are licence free, if you built something yourself you 'should' pay for a licence - assuming you could even get one issued.

Also UHF transmitter and receiver construction is extremely difficult, if you are having to ask for suggestions you're probably not up to it!.

With the low price, and small size, of the modules, you're not likely to build anything anywhere near as cheap, nor as small.

It's far best to use the ready built radio modules, but by all means do the PIC interfacing yourself - it's that which actually makes it all work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back