Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for power factor of home appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Is anyone familier with a power factor table of home appliances? (television, air-conditioner, etc.).

I'm trying to find such table but just dont manage to locate even one.
I'm not looking for accurate numbers, just average numbers.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks!

You can buy a Kill-A-Watt meter for $25-$30 to measure them directly.

I don't know of any public measurement doc of such devices.

Generally anything with motor is likely inductive load but there are a lot of new air conditioners and refrig that have power factor correction.

TV, computer, and other such electronic devices are generally 0.6 PF but is pulse current spurts due to just rectifying AC mains feeding filter cap to run their switching power supplies. The current spike occurs at as the cap is replenished with charge near peak of input sinewave.

Again, there are more and more switching power supplies that have power factor correction circuitry.

Hi alpha,

I dont have a table of power factors for typical home loads, but you can measure
this if you measure the phase angle between the current and voltage. The
power factor is the cosine of the angle. It also helps to log the current and
the leading or lagging status of the current in case you want to total them
up. Adding two loads means finding the vector sum of the two and the
power factor is again the cosine of the resulting angle.

Did you notice that none of the "power consumption" tables mention power factor? Because homes are not charged extra for a poor power factor, only industy is.

Do you suppose another Eco scammer 'power savings device' or 'how to save energy' scam report recently hit the market, again?

There seems to be a slight increase in power factor related threads lately.

You will not have a power factor problem at home unless you have a 100 horse power high inductance electric motor in your kitchen or garage.

You will not have a power factor problem at home unless you have a 100 horse power high inductance electric motor in your kitchen or garage.

But you may have problem with the neighbors every time you turn it on and the whole local area dims out!:D

You can install a huge fan outside. Pretend it is a wind generator but actually it makes wind. You could point it toward where the real wind comes from then it will cancel the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back