looking for linear actuator with return spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1212

I am looking for linear actuator with a return spring the retracts the shaft when power is interupted. The shaft travel only needs to be 5 inches and the actuator can be AC or DC. 15lbs or less of thrust should work for my application.

I am aware of rotory actuators with a return spring but that won't work for my application.

Thanks,

Jim

Is the speed that pneumatic cylinders travel, or don't you want to run a compressor?

If it's a speed issue you can run air over oil to get the speed just right.

How fast? Is a lead screw permissible? I guess not, if a spring has to be able to return it on power interruption.

That's a pretty tall order for a solenoid or similar device. Can you consider a 75-lb pull (1" throw) solenoid with a 5:1 lever?

With a DC motor driven linear actuator, you could have a backup battery...and a circuit to detect power failure, drive the actuator home, and shut down.

Ken

I was hoping to avoid the pluming involved with using air plus having a supply of air. Electrical solenoids have been attempted previously by others with mixed results. The solenoids tended to burn-up over time when used with a level system due to either excessive resistance or jamming. My goal was to allow the spring to retract the shaft when power was interrupted.

Plumbing is not a real issue with these
**broken link removed**
I guess the real problem would be the air thing, but probably the one I would choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…