Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for linear actuator with return spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1212

I am looking for linear actuator with a return spring the retracts the shaft when power is interupted. The shaft travel only needs to be 5 inches and the actuator can be AC or DC. 15lbs or less of thrust should work for my application.

I am aware of rotory actuators with a return spring but that won't work for my application.

Thanks,

Jim

Is the speed that pneumatic cylinders travel, or don't you want to run a compressor?

If it's a speed issue you can run air over oil to get the speed just right.

How fast? Is a lead screw permissible? I guess not, if a spring has to be able to return it on power interruption.

That's a pretty tall order for a solenoid or similar device. Can you consider a 75-lb pull (1" throw) solenoid with a 5:1 lever?

With a DC motor driven linear actuator, you could have a backup battery...and a circuit to detect power failure, drive the actuator home, and shut down.

Ken

I was hoping to avoid the pluming involved with using air plus having a supply of air. Electrical solenoids have been attempted previously by others with mixed results. The solenoids tended to burn-up over time when used with a level system due to either excessive resistance or jamming. My goal was to allow the spring to retract the shaft when power was interrupted.

Plumbing is not a real issue with these
**broken link removed**
I guess the real problem would be the air thing, but probably the one I would choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back