Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for cheap USB host components (the active ones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holes Flow

Experts,

How do I construct a USB host, so the individual ports are recognized as such by the upstream system (linux, or even windows)? In addition, once addressable, routing/multiplexing the signals D+/- from each?

I see lots of SMD chips, but am curious if anyone has any experience with them, and which ones have actually been used in a project (worth the $, or...)...

Thanks!

Do you mean host or hub? The upstream system is normally the host. If you do indeed mean host then search for OTG (on the go) chips.

Mike.

Mike,

Thanks for writing, and I'm sorry. I meant a hub. I was asked by a friend to figure out how much it would cost to make him a custom USB hub-one with the style & count of connectors he specifically needed. Mostly USB Micro B, but also a Mac one (C?). I don't think the mix of 2.0 and 3.* is an issue, I'll just use the LCD.

I'm looking so far at chips that are host controllers, but I believe these are interfaces to uCs/PCs. Perhaps USB hubs use the same chips? ICs labelled 'for USB hubs" are a lot harder to find. I have seen DIY projects, but there is a (relevant) question I can't seem to find an answer to:

Q: Is there any difference in the signalling of the USB 2 standard (as a good example) when it comes to connectors of different shapes (types)? IOW, is the signalling for a USB mini the same as that for a USB micro?

If not, my job just got a lot easier!

Sorry if I'm starting off from a position of virtually no knowledge (USB)...

Mike,

What is a little confusing for a USB noob like me is that some chips seem to allude to doing either...

This guy at TI is specifically for a hub, but $4 USD (no doubt worth it, but need one cheaper, 4 ports USB 2.0 min):
TUSB2046x 4-Port Hub for the Universal Serial Bus With Optional Serial EEPROM Interface
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tusb2046i.pdf

If I could have a 3.0 connection to the host, and 4 2.0 connections (minis & micros), that would seem to be best. Even if the hub ICs ports are 3.0, thats fine as long as backward compatible. Does 2.0 care which connector it has on it?

It seems like there are way too many choices for a chip, which is why I asked here. I'll no doubt learn a lot making my first one, and I'll be spending enough getting/making a PCB to take all the pins.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back