Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a student to help with a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

candyjet

I am looking for a student who could help modify an existing device

I would like a working prototype for a variation on a remote controller described below.

I have an exercise machine, the speed of which is controlled by a remote controller. The controller operates on frequency 433 mHz. There are three buttons on the controller

- an on/off button
- a 'go faster' button
- a 'go slower' button.

The longer the faster/slower buttons are held down, the greater the change in pace of the machine.

I would like to replace the faster/slower buttons with a programmable solution. Instead of the input being via a push button, I would like the input to be an audible sound source, of the type produced by an mp3 player such as an ipod.

In this design, a note played through the left channel would decrease the speed, and a note played through the right channel would increase the speed. The magnitude of the speed change would be dependant on the length of note, rather than the length of time that the button is pressed.

I envisage a 3.5mm stereo jack plug input to the device, to enable connection to an mp3 player.

I will be able to supply an example of the push button remote controller.

I am looking for a student, preferably in the UK, who could modify the device over the summer.

There would be payment for a successfully working modification. If anyone is interested, let me know,

Thanks

CJ

I am looking for a student, preferably in the UK, who could modify the device over the summer.
I'm still learning and in a Commonwealth country - do I qualify?

Thanks folks. I have sent a PM's to you all -check your inbox.

Anyone else interested? I may want more than one built.

Thanks

CJ

A Guarantee

I have received a message from the moderator about my posts. Let me try to allay some fears.

The objectives of this project are as follows, in order of importance.

1. Nobody gets 'ripped off'. The only person likely to end up out of pocket will be me.
2. I end up with a working model.

Why haven't I set a price?

1. I don't know what parts are needed.
2. I don't know how long it would take to put it together.

If I did, I would have a working model by now. Having said that, I do know the going rate that commercial organisations charge, and that the fee paid will not be disappointing.

I am happy to send the controller to anyone interested. They can examine it, then provide me with a quote, which we will both agree before any further work is done.

I would be happy to appoint a paid impartial observer (perhaps you, moderator?) to oversee ordering of parts to ensure that neither the assembler nor myself are ripped off.

I will be happy to appoint a paid impartial observer to see whether the thing works or not.

Finally, before we embark on it, anyone involved would have my personal details and can contact me as necessary.

I really want a working model. I would be grateful for help.

CJ

Hi candyjet , I'm not student and not in UK right now , just curious , may I have the details to? Why don't you just post the details on the forum , many of us are seeking for help here and not only for hobby projects.

Hi CandyJet,

I really want a working model. I would be grateful for help.

What happens (or do you expect to happen) if you don't get a working model.
Not getting a working model maybe a possibility for various reasons, some of which maybe nobody's fault.

I did various projects for people when I was a student, some worked out pretty good others proved a concept but weren't viable as a product.
You should expand your applications list by allowing experienced people also, a student will not necessarily have acquired enough skills. Some only work in theory for quite a while and only manage to get there hands dirty on a project in the last few months. By the way I'm not knocking students, its just the way the educational systems have developed.

Regards,
Leftfield95

What happens (or do you expect to happen) if you don't get a working model.

This is the problem I have at the moment, having tried a commercial organisation, which has delivered a non-working model. The only solution I can think of that is fair to all is to let folk examine it first before saying yes or no. However I am open to other suggestions.

I am open to non-students too, if anyone would like to contact me.

Thanks

CJ

The example of push button remote controller. I assume you want to connect mp3 player thru the remote controller and you want to automate the controlled device. Anyway , the lack of any feedback from the device itself can lead to a very unstable operation. If a command is missed all the others are flawed. If you don't need a very safe device the project is not very complex and can be done with ease by using filters or ,better, by using a microcontroller
Can you tell us what went wrong with the commercial version you had?

Last edited:
Mdorian, you are correct how I want it to work.

A 'hit' rate of say, 95% would be usable as a prototype. Missing a command is not safety critical. All that happens is that the machine doesn't quite follow the programmed speed, but nobody dies in the process.

I have no idea why the commercially modified one does not work, as it gives no indications when it is transmitting. I am still working with the organisation on this. (I have posted on a different forum whether it is possible to make a 433Mhz receiver which would indicate when a signal is being transmitted. This would greatly aid troubleshooting).

Finally, as an aside, the moderator asked what happens if 2 people independently build successful models. Simple. Both get paid the agreed fees.

CJ

Last edited:
I'm not interested in money , however if something comes out with my help you can make a donation to those who are running this forum ( I hope I will not regret this after you publish the fee for the project).
I still need some details , the project must include the remote itself or just "push the buttons" of an existent remote?
Post something about the remote , the chip used in it or the schematic so one can figure out the voltage levels and the timing to drive it or if needed how to design a similar remote.

hi candyjet,
Can you post the specification that you submitted to that commercial company you referred too in your posts and how the finished unit failed to meet that specification.????

Last edited:
As I am not an electronics buff, I know nothing about the circuits inside. I haven't dismantled the remote at all.

With the 'failed' attempt, the spec was pretty much what I've given above, ie what it has to do. I can't write a spec on how to do it, otherwise I would build one myself. Therefore I sent the company an example remote for them to examine and decide how to do it.

Why did it fail? I have no idea, all I know is that the exercise machine stays stubbornly at the same pace no matter what noises are played to it.

I would gladly donate generously to the forum to get a working model.

Thanks

CJ

Not much to do without any information on the remote. Can you send at least a picture of it , the model number of your exercise machine maybe somebody knows what controller is used or to contact a service center that might help? A picture of the inside circuit (both sides) of the remote would help but only if you have a spare remote in case something goes wrong. Or find somebody who can do this for you. The rest of the project is quite simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back