Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking For A Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only need to discharge capacitors if they will present a danger. 55 V is low enough to not really be dangerous, but a 80 + volts it getting to where it can be a a safety issue.

It's best to put some resistance in the way when discharging capacitors, but you may not have done any significant damage.

Was the power on when you discharged that capacitors? If so, that was the wrong thing to do and you may have damaged the diodes or a fuse. The transformer will be fine. If you short a transformer of that size, it will take a minute or more to heat up enough to burn out.

What is the voltage rating of the capacitors? What is the output voltage rating of the transformer? The input voltage will match the mains voltage.
Hi,
The fuse has blown, would this have gone before anything else got damaged? Fuse says 250V other end T3.15A. It has a coil at one end, what would be the correct type of replacement, or would any 15A fuse do, or slo blow, whatever? Output voltage of the transformer, how would I measure that? Will check the capacitor voltage and get back.

Attachments

• DSCN6963 (Small).JPG
    DSCN6963 (Small).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 169
T3.15 means time delay 3.15A... 99% of the time a blown fuse indicates something is shorted. the reason for the time delay is the inrush current to charge the capacitors might be more than the fuse rating, but only for a short time... and like i said it's a 3.15A fuse not a 15A fuse. slow-blow and time delay are the same thing. after replacing the fuse put a 100W INCANDESCENT light bulb in SERIES with the AC power before turning the unit back on. if the light lights up and then goes dim, everything is ok... if the bulb stays brightly lit, you have a problem.

T3.15 means time delay 3.15A... 99% of the time a blown fuse indicates something is shorted. the reason for the time delay is the inrush current to charge the capacitors might be more than the fuse rating, but only for a short time... and like i said it's a 3.15A fuse not a 15A fuse. slow-blow and time delay are the same thing. after replacing the fuse put a 100W INCANDESCENT light bulb in SERIES with the AC power before turning the unit back on. if the light lights up and then goes dim, everything is ok... if the bulb stays brightly lit, you have a problem.
Bulb Yes, I've also read about using a bulb, to discharge capacitors. Will need to order a replacement fuse or a couple.

Bulb Yes, I've also read about using a bulb, to discharge capacitors. Will need to order a replacement fuse or a couple.
The bulb goes in series. It's not to discharge the capacitors. The bulb will limit the current. If something is wrong, and the power supply shorts out, the bulb will light and there won't be a big bang.

If everything is working, the bulb may glow a bit, and there may be a short dim flash from the bulb as you turn on.

The bulb is acting a bit like a fuse, but one that won't blow, it will just light up. Both the bulb and a fuse will stop excessive current flowing for too long.

Ordered a pack of T3.15 slow blow fuses. Will get back to forum when they arrive, and have checked the cap potential and also power transformer.
Thanks and stay safe, out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back