Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a 120vac - 12vdc transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I have a set of 4 ohm speakers on my computer but they need an amp to work.

After some searching I looked up the Sonic Impact 5066 portable amp.
this amp is good but has its flaws.

It needs a $20 power plug unless you want to run it on 8AA batteries (I don't)
It has some cheap connection points on the input and output
It lacks Bass

I'm planning on modding this amp by running it on a cheaper power plug, upgrading the outputs and inputs to gold plated RCA and binding posts, adding a heat sink to the main chip to keep it cool, and changing some Caps in the circuit to up the bass output.

My problem is finding a power supply that puts out 12V

This amp can only handle a max. input of 13.2VDC, after that the filter caps start blowing and the main chip heats up which causes it to shut down. Most 12Vdc output transformer plugs that I have looked at and tested have put out about 14V...Some as high as 18V!

If anyone knows a good transformer for this project please give me a link, thanks

moody07747 said:
Most 12Vdc output transformer plugs that I have looked at and tested have put out about 14V...Some as high as 18V!
You can buy regulated mains adaptors but they're more expensive.

Craplin sells them.

**broken link removed**

But as you live in the US you'll have to look in RadioShack.

Somehow I doubt that's continuous current.

Craplin sell them up to 1.2A, I don't know what the peak ratings are.

You could go for a 3A 12V transformer with a huge filter capacitor and an LM338 on the output. You might even be able to get away with th LM317 if you're lucky.

Get on eBay and get yourself a set of used Boston Acoustic or Altec Lansing surround system w/ subwoofer. The whole thing is self sustained with the power supply and amplifier in the subwoofer cabinet. One connection to your audio card's output is all that's needed. They sell used for cheap and they kick ass in hi-fidelity sound. My Altec system sounds pretty awesome. I remember the first time I used it for on-line gaming. I was crawling through heavy grass listening to the sounds of gun battle around me, sneaking up on a village to snipe it, when all of a sudden there was a loud gunshot behind me. I literally jumped in my seat from the realism of a gun shot behind me, knocking the keyboard to the floor, my heartbeat jumped, and there on the screen was the message that I was shot by a .50cal. :eek:

This is what most people use:

**broken link removed**

True, you may be better off with a PC speaker set, it depends what "4 ohm speakers" you have. The T-amp is supposed to be very capable if used with good (and fairly efficient) Hi-Fi speakers. If were talking about some old PC speakers with no amp though then a new 2.1/5.1 set is a better option.

I'm still trying to decide which I should go for...the Sonic Impact 5066 or the newer Super T Amp 5062

The SI 5066 has got to be modified as it lacks good connectors and allot of bass from the reviews on audio boards

The total to get the Sonic Impact 5066 and all parts to mod it would be about $80 with shipping to a few places.

On the other hand:
The Newer Super T Amp 5062 is just $130 and needs no mods at all....better case too.

SI 6055:
https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Impact...r_1/002-8474019-5560830?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Super T 5062:
https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Impact...r_2/002-8474019-5560830?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

So I would save $50 if I modded the older model but its a bit of work and it will never sound as good as the newer model amp.

Either way I need an amp just for these 2 speakers.
I'm not really planning on using these for games or anything like that..this ill be for audio recording playback/monitoring.

I have a pair of Altec Lansing speakers that I'm happy with for gaming and whatever...I do wish I had a 5.1 surround sound system setup for my desktop though for games lol

HiTech said:
Get on eBay and get yourself a set of used Boston Acoustic or Altec Lansing surround system w/ subwoofer. The whole thing is self sustained with the power supply and amplifier in the subwoofer cabinet. One connection to your audio card's output is all that's needed. They sell used for cheap and they kick ass in hi-fidelity sound. My Altec system sounds pretty awesome. I remember the first time I used it for on-line gaming. I was crawling through heavy grass listening to the sounds of gun battle around me, sneaking up on a village to snipe it, when all of a sudden there was a loud gunshot behind me. I literally jumped in my seat from the realism of a gun shot behind me, knocking the keyboard to the floor, my heartbeat jumped, and there on the screen was the message that I was shot by a .50cal. :eek:

yea ill probably end up getting one like my bros one day..

BTW, what game was it?

my bros computer setup
**broken link removed**

hes getting a pair of flat screens for Christmas so he can put more junk all over the table top :D

his system is mostly Logitech and his audio system is the Logitech Z-640 5.1 SS system with sub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back