Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

long range IR remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reasoning for turning off the big tv is that we dont like the guy... and no he doesnt show anything good on the tv eaither... my personal oppinion is that he should donate it to me :)

Last edited:
Well, the guy might sue you if he finds out that he paid shipping to send it in for another unit, since he thought it was broke. It kept shutting off.

Hope he does not buy a big mean a$$ dog or you might b-gone..

I've never tried to test this before, but it might be a good excuse for you to try it. IR sensors don't ONLY pick up IR light, that's why the sometimes don't work or work erraticly if the sun is shineing on the receiver (let alone mess with your TV picture =>) But a 5 dollar laser point I think could be modulated to carry an IR carrier. RED laser pointers are also incredibly bright and since it's RED it's at least close to the IR range. Replace the switch on a stock laser pointer with a simple transistor, tap the IR-blaster's LED at it's cathode to drive the transistors base? (correct me if I'm wrong someone) and you should be able to have the IR blaster modulate the laser. I know these kinds of laser pointers are themselves already modulated (otherwise they self destruct) but I'm not sure at what frequency. If it's well above the 38khz (or so) carrier of a standard IR remote it should work. aiming would be a bit of a pain, but if you have a telescope =)

Flyingmunkie said:
the reasoning for turning off the big tv is that we dont like the guy... and no he doesnt show anything good on the tv eaither... my personal oppinion is that he should donate it to me :)
So short of you both not liking the guy (for whatever reasons) you both choose to be devious and heckle him through technology? Is this a veangence thing stemming from prior incidences with him? Invasion of privacy enters my mind, amidst other legal infractions if he catches on to your scheming.
So let's suppose you succeed with this super-powered infrared remote... the guy relocates his set to an adjacent wall, or closes his blinds/curtains, etc. Then what... cut his CATV coax? :eek: :( Tell ya what, gimmie his address so I can loan him my 3000watt maser. I foresee people getting "hot under the collar"!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
HOT? Yeah:
How much power would be needed for a laser to burn down his TV?
To burn down his entire trailer home?

MASER not laser.

Attachments

• uwhorn.jpg
    uwhorn.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 284
You have a very funny-looking maser gun.
What good will a coherent but very weak microwave beam do?

audioguru said:
You have a very funny-looking maser gun.
What good will a coherent but very weak microwave beam do?

Well it's hardly a 'MASER', it's just a microwave oven magnetron with a rough looking waveguide bodged on it. It wouldn't be very friendly to be in the same room as it, but apart from that it wouldn't do any harm - as much as anything, it looks like a radio amateur microwave transmitter?.

It's a magnetron from an oven with a dispersion of around 30°-35°. Like Nigel said it wouldn't be a good idea to be in proximity to it! And no, it wouldn't really beam destructive, high energy over a long distance, but it can wreak havoc from across the room! The waveguide is the load for the magnetron. I was thinking of lending it to Flyingmunkie's neighbor but then who knows, maybe the man has a loaded rifle leaning against a wall in a corner!!:eek: ;)

I think Flyingmunkie should abandon the idea and read this thread . I believe there's a family reunion being planned.

There are only two topics about monkeys.
Have you seen all the topics about clocks? Every school kid must be making a clock with old TTL ICs.

audioguru said:
There are only two topics about monkeys.
Thank God for that since there are enough of them running about these forums!

1. i dont want to listen to monkeys. (in a small crowd)
2. i dont want to build a clock...
C.i just want to mess with this guy cuz he freaks out over small things. and he keeps bragging about how he just got his new tv from panasonic because he knows somone who works for them so he picked it up for really cheap... we just think this will be funny and can probably go on for years. so if you want to help me entertain myself for years, cool, if not, whatever go be boring or something.

audioguru said:
HOT? Yeah:
How much power would be needed for a laser to burn down his TV?
To burn down his entire trailer home?
Now what makes you think they live in a trailor homes?:D

And Hitech is NEVER boring.. On the edge sometimes, never boring.

Speaking of monkeys, I wonder how the fights are going and if they are still talking about the guy?

Last edited:
Flyingmunkie said:
i just want to mess with this guy cuz he freaks out over small things.
He wants you to keep away from his young daughter, you pervert!

That 'masar' might not be horribly dangerous to human beings but you're going to jam every 2.4ghz cordless phone and wi-fi network within maybe like half mile or more in the direction it's pointed let alone locally (there appears to be absolutly no shielding around the magnetron itself in the rear and sides). While most hacks might be generally tollerated using something like that will get the FCC banging on your door relativly quickly.

mramos1 said:
And Hitech is NEVER boring.. On the edge sometimes, never boring.
Thank you! Between Audioguru and myself, we keep this place on an even keel so it doesn't naturally revert to something along the lines of a chalkboard w/ boring formulas sprawled across it.

Funkiemunkie: my advice is for you and your uncle to take the high roads by simply ignoring the neighbor. When he gloats or whines about something and you simply walk away without adding any comments or response, that will up his blood pressure far more than turning off his tv set. That will be two less people around him that he can't annoy or impress. The silent treatment works with most people. He'll waste time wondering over it and maybe become paranoid too.

Sceadwian said: That 'masar' might not be horribly dangerous to human beings but you're going to jam every 2.4ghz cordless phone and wi-fi network within maybe like half mile or more in the direction it's pointed let alone locally (there appears to be absolutly no shielding around the magnetron itself in the rear and sides). While most hacks might be generally tollerated using something like that will get the FCC banging on your door relativly quickly.
If the FCC shows up at my door, they better be wearing tinfoil jumpsuits!:rolleyes: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back